Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Why I like the first day of school

  • Those darling children are in school! Away from home from 7:20 a.m to 4:00 p.m. (there 'bouts). (not sure exactly when the bus will bring them home. School dismisses at 3:20, I think)
  • The house is quiet the whole time they are gone.
  • Everything is full of potential. They bring home a bazillion papers for me to fill out and sign; all the teachers send documents declaring their ideals and expectations for academic and behavioral achievement. Everything is possible. Notebooks will be neat, homework will be done, all the topics will be covered, everyone will sit in their places with bright shining faces. It's all possible. (in a month or less none of this will prove true)
  • It's a day of celebration for harried parents everywhere. I imagine the day care centers are rejoicing, too. I celebrated by getting a package of gooey sweet blueberry-filled pastry.
  • I can do stuff without being interrupted (as much).
  • I can nap peacefully, knowing someone else is monitoring the children.
  • I can watch movies during the day that I wouldn't allow my children to see.
  • Superman comes home for "lunch" and we can make all the noise we want, with no kidlets to interrupt.

11 comments:

Cameron said...

Cannot resist cheering you and Superman on! You go, peaople! (and Light is cute when she blushes!)

Peter said...

java, enjoy it while it lasts! *wink*

Brilliant or Something said...

Re: the last... Once I am gone, pleeeeease!
Of course, I slept 'til 1 today, so that may be a saving grace.

Cameron: ppppbth!

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

It sounds like the Java Mom is getting a much-deserved break! I am glad. :)

RG said...

What is this "quiet" you speak of? LOL

Cameron said...

Light wrote:"Cameron: ppppbth! "...I live for that! WEG!

Ur-spo said...

I hear this a lot from parent-patients.
The kids are back at school - said with glee and relief.

Birdie said...

I've never understood the moms who worried, "Are you okay?" when school started. I wasn't okay; I was thrilled. Time alone, when no one needed me!

tornwordo said...

Sounds to me like a halleluyah moment.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Poor Java, I think you need the break! I can't help think however how my mother used to tease me by counting down the days until I would have to go back to school. She would say, "blank more days and you will be out of my hair, yaa hoo!"

dpaste said...

Hang in there. You are fighting the good fight. Happy new school year!