Sunday, April 12, 2009

It's too good to hide

Without his permission, but hoping for forgiveness, I post this note from Superman. He left this comment on the previous post, and it's just too good to hide in a comment. 

Yes, I like to sit and watch stormy weather ... assuming I am safe and dry at the time. I do NOT like to drive in it.

One positive piece of fallout from the storm (for us anyway) was that there was some tree damage in the area. Twitch and I collected a truckload of LARGE oak logs from just down the street. More firewood for free! Yay us!

Interesting tidbit about the collection of said wood. The pieces were very large. Between 4 and 7 feet long and averaging around a foot in diameter, and weighing between 150 and 400 pounds. A clue: there was ONE piece there that could be handled by a single worker. Twitch is almost as big as I am (he's about 6'2" and 230 pounds) and it was a chore for the two of us to get the logs loaded. He wanted to use a chainsaw to cut them up, but I said nahhhhh. Let's just load 'em as-is. It'll be a good workout. He said he didn't need a workout. I pointed at his generous gut and disagreed. He said I needed the workout more than he did. We agreed to disagree on that, but he then stated that he didn't think I had the stamina to finish the job.

What? 
What did he just say to me? Oh, it is so ON!

I told him it wouldn't be a problem. He said he had five bucks that said it would.

Heh. He owes me five bucks now. I haven't brought it back up, but I think I will the next time he complains about a chore.

Footnote to the loading operation. I turned 49 last week. The ol' stamina ain't there like it used to be. I took a hot shower, and a Celebrex, and a Tylenol, and I'm going to bed. I hope I can lift my arms in the morning.

But don't tell Twitch. };-D 

9 comments:

Rox said...

I totally know where Superman is coming from. I once did 22 cartwheels in a row to prove that I could.

Anonymous said...

celebrex and tylenol and a hot bath sounds SO NICE!!! LOL

Peter said...

Superman, age is only a number, hope the stifness goes away soon.

Concolor44 said...

Well apparently the combo did the trick. I feel fine this morning. No soreness except for a little twinge in the back of my left wrist where one of the logs hit it.

Guess I'll live.

Birdie said...

Meanwhile, Twitch enjoys the oblivion of youth.

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

I think superman's pretty darned healthy for 49. Most of my coworkers who are that age are kinda falling apart. Not superman! He's one of my heroes :)

RG said...

I'm 47 and played softball yesterday in what can only be described as "chilly" weather.

My arms and shoulders are so sore today, I'm typing this comment with my toes.

I just love this age when you can injure yourself by simply answering the phone.

Greg said...

Heh heh heh...

Brilliant or Something said...

oh, Dad... I love you so much, but sometimes you defy description in myriad ways. FYI, the dorm I'm living in next year has a nice functional elevator, and I'm only on the 2nd floor. Fewer injury oportunities.