Saturday, April 11, 2009

I did something right!

I really want to post more often. Sometimes I open my blog and am surprised to see the same old post sitting there. Surely I've updated since Sunday!? I guess not. 

I did a good mommy thing this week. I was a good mean mommy, which pleases me greatly. I shall explain. Superman got up about 3 a.m. Thursday morning, I am not sure why. He heard something? He needed to pee? Whatever. He went into the living room where he found Diva and Sproing watching The Rock on DVD. That's an R rated movie. It has a little bit of not-much-left-to-the-imagination sex and a whole slew of way nasty violence. It is not a movie they should watch, and I keep it in my room where they don't have access to it. However, Light watched it when she was on spring break last week and left it out for the kidlets to get. They're smart enough to know I don't want them watching it, so they waited until Superman and I were asleep to get up and watch it. He says they had gotten pretty far into the movie by the time he found them. He of course sent them straight back to bed. 

So Thursday I was contemplating what would make a good punishment for this offense. I certainly didn't want it to go unpunished, and I know the best punishments are direct consequences. I came up with a good one! Since they had been up at 3 a.m., I decided to put them to bed 3 hours before their regular bedtime. That means Thursday's bedtime was 5:00. Sproing wasn't even home from his friend's house by 5, but he was put to bed as soon as he got home. Diva went to bed quietly pouting, and fell asleep shortly thereafter. Sproing, on the other hand, did not go quiet into that good night. He screamed and cried for an hour and a half. Seriously. He's got some perseverance, doesn't he? Then he complained to his dad that his throat and ribs hurt. I laughed, but Superman held his laughter until later. Good man, that one. Anyway, the boy finally went to sleep and slept pretty hard. He was in an amazingly good mood Friday morning, and had a very good day at school. I feel vindicated. 

**************

We had a string of powerful storms come through here last night. The lightening was awesome! There were reports of tornadoes, but I don't know if any touched down in our neighborhood. There are a good number of trees either uprooted or with large branches down throughout the city. Our back yard is a mess, but nothing serious. 

I have some pictures of my new study cave. Superman built a loft bed for Light, and my desk is underneath it. I'll get those posted later today (I hope). 

That's all for now. 

10 comments:

Rox said...

High five, mommy dearest!! WOOHOO!! I love a good "kid gets punished" blog entry! LOL! I'm so cruel...

Patrick said...

This sounds like a winner! Congrat's, my Dear.

Peter said...

Well done Java! Hope you all have a quiet Easter with losts of sunshine outside [and inside in your heart].

Unknown said...

you sound "up"...

this is a very good thing. revel in the triumph my friend. enjoy it while it is with you...

i think lightning and thunderstorms are romantic and thrilling somehow. i love the drama...

go figure.

Concolor44 said...

Yes, I like to sit and watch stormy weather ... assuming I am safe and dry at the time. I do NOT like to drive in it.

One positive piece of fallout from the storm (for us anyway) was that there was some tree damage in the area. Twitch and I collected a truckload of LARGE oak logs from just down the street. More firewood for free! Yay us!

Interesting tidbit about the collection of said wood. The pieces were very large. Between 4 and 7 feet long and averaging around a foot in diameter, and weighing between 150 and 400 pounds. A clue: there was ONE piece there that could be handled by a single worker. Twitch is almost as big as I am (he's about 6'2" and 230 pounds) and it was a chore for the two of us to get the logs loaded. He wanted to use a chainsaw to cut them up, but I said nahhhhh. Let's just load 'em as-is. It'll be a good workout. He said he didn't need a workout. I pointed at his generous gut and disagreed. He said I needed the workout more than he did. We agreed to disagree on that, but he then stated that he didn't think I had the stamina to finish the job.

What? What did he just say to me? Oh, it is so ON!

I told him it wouldn't be a problem. He said he had five bucks that said it would.

Heh. He owes me five bucks now. I haven't brought it back up, but I think I will the next time he complains about a chore.

Footnote to the loading operation. I turned 49 last week. The ol' stamina ain't there like it used to be. I took a hot shower, and a Celebrex, and a Tylenol, and I'm going to bed. I hope I can lift my arms in the morning.

But don't tell Twitch. };-D

mrs. dorothy jensen said...

I thought of you when I heard about the storms in SC...glad you are okay.

I haven't had to deal with kids watching R rated movies yet but I have my hands full trying to disallow them access to that shitty "ABC Family" station which constantly perpetuates the myth that adults/parents are all stupid and sassy mouthed/know-it-all kids are where it's at! The attitude it was giving our own Diva Rosie came to an abrupt halt once it was banned. Kids!

Birdie said...

High five and a glass of wine, dearest. Have a piece of chocolate and get a shoulder rub. Bing! Next round! Go gettum, champ!

RG said...

You should've made the little darlings watch the Lucille Ball version of Mame. Now THAT's torture!

Leave it to a gay man to slip in a Mame reference right? LOL

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?