Warning: Girl Stuff Alert!!
It has been months now, maybe even a year ago that my gynecologist suggested that I suffer from PMDD. I don't think about it often, only when it flares up. Like this week. I asked Butch what the "DD" means because I forgot. It's Dysphoric Disorder. I looked it up and found some interesting stuff.
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder or PMDD is a condition associated with severe emotional and physical problems that are linked closely to the menstrual cycle. Symptoms occur regularly in the second half of the cycle and end when menstruation begins or shortly thereafter. PMDD is not just a new name for premenstrual syndrome (PMS), a condition that affects as many as 75% of menstruating women. It is, however, considered to be a very severe form of PMS that affects about 5% of menstruating women. Both PMDD and PMS share symptoms in common that include depression, anxiety, tension, irritability and moodiness. What sets PMDD apart is its severity. Women with PMDD find that it has a very disruptive effect on their lives. (emphasis mine)
I took an assessment quiz on this website.
My results are as follows:
Your health assessment
Your symptoms rank in the severe category. The demands you place on your body are almost overwhelming. By comparison, the support that you give yourself is inadequate.
What your assessment means
Severe symptoms mean that you suffer from entrenched hormonal imbalance. We see this degree of hormonal imbalance most often in women who are in perimenopause or transitioning through menopause, although in some cases it also occurs in younger women. Your symptoms will continue, or even worsen, unless you take action to improve your hormonal health.
Very Severe demands mean that your body is experiencing a much greater burden than most women, and this burden is overwhelming your ability to balance your hormones. Some of these demands are not within your control but it’s important to minimize those that are. In the meantime, it’s essential that you give your body extra support to counter this burden. Remember, the greater the demands on you, the greater your need for support!
Inadequate support means that you are not giving yourself the support your body needs for hormonal balance. Your symptoms are likely to get worse if you do not improve this level of support. The good news is there are simple, natural things you can do that will make a big difference in your health and well-being. Many women are surprised to learn that taking medical-grade nutritional supplements coupled with incremental changes in diet, stress management and fitness habits can go a long way in providing the support you are missing.
And because it was linked on one of the websites, and it fascinates me, here are the diagnostic symptoms listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders – edition IV.
DSM-IV symptoms are as follows:
- Markedly depressed mood, feelings of hopelessness, self-depreciation That's a yes.
- Suddenly feeling sad or tearful, with increased sensitivity to personal rejection Yup.
- Decreased interest in usual activities So-so. Maybe a little bit.
- Lethargy, fatigue, marked lack of energy At least a little bit.
- Accompanying depressive symptoms there is always the danger for suicidal ideation and behavior. Um, not to worry you or anything, but yes.
- Marked changes in appetite and cravings for certain foods Sometimes
- Insomnia or hypersomnia Messed up sleep patterns, for sure. Sometimes too much, sometimes too little.
- Markedly depressed mood, feelings of hopelessness, self-depreciation That's a yes.
- Anxiety symptoms
- Marked anxiety, tension, feeling of being keyed-up or on-edge Yup
- Persistent or marked irritability, anger, increased interpersonal conflicts Oh, yeah!
- Feeling overwhelmed or out of control Very much
- Marked anxiety, tension, feeling of being keyed-up or on-edge Yup
- Cognitive symptoms - Subjective sense of having difficulty concentrating Irritatingly so
- Physical symptoms - Breast tenderness or swelling, headaches, joint or muscular pain, weight gain, bloated feeling Not so much, usually. Not this time, anyway.
Risk factors for PMDD include the following:
- Personal history of a major mood disorder Check
- A family history of mood disorder Yeppers
- Premenstrual depression Oh yeah
- Premenstrual mood changes. Yep
- Past history of sexual abuse Thankfully, no.
- Past, present, or current domestic violence Thank the deities, NO!
This looks pretty much on target. Have I given adequate information over the past couple of days for analysis? What do you think?
17 comments:
Is there a test for hormone levels that would support this? Because it sounds feasible. Do you have signs of perimenopause? For the sake of the guys here, perhaps we should take this to email. Talk like this makes 'em scatter like cockroaches when the light's turned on.
Carry on, men: How 'bout them [insert favorite team here]!
ask your doctor if you are a candidate for taking an SSRI for the days you have PMDD; it will take down the irritable moods and bloating etc.
I think I might have PMDD too! Wait I'm a guy...
Okay, so I'm like 50% girl....give or take a few percentage points. But I don't get this stuff at all! Maybe I'm less girl than I think I am!
Funny you posted this today. Yesterday I worked with one of my favourite female co-workers all day outdoors, just the two of us. She was suffering from cramps and other associated problems. I learned more in that five hours than I ever knew about this stuff before. My sympathy, sweetie. (My co-worker said chocolate, a glass of wine and a massage helps.)
Okay so honestly I have no clue what you are talking about so I won't try to pretend I do. All I know is I think you are a sweet heart and want to show you support so I hope you can find a healthy way to manage this some how.
I do however understand PMS a little, it meant when I was younger to stay away from the women in my family on certain days and never ever draw them into an argument of any kind.
They have a new name for PMS? Wow I had no idea. I am lucky I have never had it as bad as some women. I know some that cant even function enough to come to work. Crappy thing we get...not really fair.
Personally, I think that you should take this info and some recent (and not-so-recent) examples to the nice guy you see at W. Car. Shrink Wrap.
As for decreased interest in activities, compare now not to a few months ago but to what kinds of things you were doing and enjoying regularly 2-4 years ago, and see if the answer varies any. The changes can be so gradual (aside from C moving in and the subsequent upheaval) that they really don't seem to be there.
I hope you can get to a place where you feel better, mum
Lots of love and appreciation,
~Light
I know someone who was VERY helped by an SSRI who suffered. It's certainly something to look into.
I know someone who was VERY helped by an SSRI who suffered. It's certainly something to look into.
I'm glad we got to talk about it last night.
i should stay outa this one- but i'm so nosy..
firstly, you live with not just "suffer from".... semantics, i know, but still, could be important.
secondly, there is a book called "you can heal your life" by louise hay. it also may be helpful...
Hope you're feeling a bit better.
What I think about this is the excitement and relief that I read in your writing about it. That says volumes to me because I think that we know ourselves and when we are near the answer we just light up with relief.
I loved what Light said about looking at things a little longer out too. She sounds so wise, I'm glad that she is in the world. (The next time you are feeling besieged I think you should remember that you had a hand in that.)
Trust yourself, m'dear.
Hope you are doing better sweetheart. I love you.
Meanwhile, I'm wondering why I have similar symptoms, yet don't have PMDD. :)
It sure seems like something worth investigating further, since it rings true for you in substantial enough instances AND your gynecologist thinks it's worth a look-see. Couldn't hurt at least to be taking 'prescription strength' vitamins (I was not aware there was such a thing). Keep us posted, Dear. I don't claim to know much about 'girl stuff', but it doesn't scare me :)
Sounds like you fit this to a "T." But as Ur-Spo so eloquently posted on his blog recently, time to write down all your questions and ask your doctor. And don't put it off!
Post a Comment