Monday, November 2, 2009

Happy snippets

Remember the grief I had with The Boy last Wednesday? We discussed whether or not I should go up to visit him Sunday (yesterday). I did not go, though Superman and Twitch did. (Then they drove up to Charlotte to return Twitch to his college abode.) According to Superman, Sproing was a thing of beauty and a joy until the next breakdown. He was pleasant, respectful, and all-around fun to be with. I sent one of his little toy cars (he loves vehicles) for Superman to give him, and he was glad to get it.

It gets even better. Sunday evening Sproing called me. And still he was pleasant, friendly, interesting. Then he apologized for the way he treated me last Wednesday!! 'Bout knocked my socks off. I told him I appreciated his apology, I forgive him, and mentioned that I did not like that last visit. He seemed relieved to be forgiven. I will be there this Wednesday, too. We have a family therapy session right before visiting hours, so I need to go anyway. But now I want to go. That makes a significant difference.

I took another one of those little tests today. (He calls it a quiz, but it seems more like a small test to me. In my head there is a difference.) I did some studying on Saturday, then crammed some more this morning. I feel confident about my performance on this one. And I got the score from last week's test. I made another 100%! That makes me happy.

It's time to register for next semester's courses. I want to get it done soon so I can get into the classes I need. Thing is, I'm not sure what I need. That's what I should be doing right now, really. I printed out my transcript this afternoon, and I need to work out what I've got, what's required, what I need, and how and when to get those classes.

In looking over my transcript I observed that so far, for the two semesters I've already been here in school, I am carrying a 4.0 GPA. I really like that, and want to continue that trend, but I need to work on being OK with myself if I don't make a 4.0 this semester. There is some question now as to whether I can pull an A out of Research Methods. I got a sorry start, and am not working as hard as I should. I made a low A on the latest test.

I had a good weekend. I watched a few movies, some from Netflix and one DVD. I picked up "Waitress" from the $5 bin at K-Mart Sunday morning, and Diva and I watched it together in the afternoon while Superman was driving all over this corner of the state. It was a good movie, but even better, it was a good time of sitting together with my youngest daughter.

When the movie was over we went into the kitchen to figure out what to do for supper. She was in the mood for scrambled eggs, and decided she would fix eggs for me. She followed her daddy's recipe, but in her inimitable style. (translation: she got most of the ingredients right, but got the proportions and the cooking time and temperature wrong) Bless her heart. Even though I had to warm my plate in the microwave so the eggs would be warm enough to eat, and they were slightly rubbery, I was touched by her desire and attempt, and I ate the eggs without complaint. Good mommy points? The two of us got along well, which doesn't always happen. I'm not sure if that means anything to her, if it was of any significance in her strange little world, but I'm not worried about that today. I'm enjoying my experience of getting along with the girl.

Superman and I went out together Sunday morning to pick up a few things for the house. I finally got a wall clock for my office. Been meaning to pick one up for months. I figured I'd get a cheap plain round plastic run-of-the-mill clock, but when we were looking over the selection I saw one I like much better. I'll tell you now that I will take a picture of it once we get it on the wall and post it here so you can see it. I say that, but I haven't used my camera in a few months, and the only pictures I've posted have been from the internet, not ones I took myself. Why? I dunno. I've got some kind of resistance thing going with my camera right now. There may be some deep unconscious psychological significance to it, but I don't care. I see it. It's sitting there on the corner of my little desk, taunting me. We'll work it out eventually. Hey, maybe I should name it. Patrick recently wrote about his camera Camille, who has gone missing. An anthropomorphic camera somehow seems more friendly than that little box of [magic digital computerized camera parts] sitting over there.

*sigh* I tried to write about my new wall clock (it's a cat with a clock in its belly, but it looks much better than that sounds) but ended up philosophizing about my relationship with my camera. That's probably a sign that I'm tired. I ramble when I get tired. Have you ever noticed? Wrapping up here; I had a good weekend and have a few pleasant things to report. See above for more detail than you ever wanted.

warm wishes to all and sundry

Wait! I remember what I came here to tell you about in the first place. Today, November 2nd, is the 27th anniversary of my engagement to Superman. He proposed to me on this date back in 1982. It was Tuesday, election day, though I have no clue who was running. It was not a presidential election year. Other than that, I got no clue. Doesn't matter. What does matter is that Superman asked me if I'd marry him. I said yes. It was evening, and I was sitting in his lap telling him a story (probably long, boring, and rambling) about something that had happened to me that day, and in the middle of the story the topic of my future and my relationship with him came up. He asked if I'd marry him, I said yes, and then continued with my story. We did not discuss it at all that night, but the next day I thought about it all day long. We discussed it for hours Wednesday night. Eventually we got married, had a few kids, and I started blogging. What else is there? :)

15 comments:

Ur-spo said...

that was a very nice post and update
Congrats on the superman, the GPA and getting an apology.

Anonymous said...

Wow this post has so much in it! But I want to say most of all....HAPPY ENGAGEMENT ANIVERSARY!!! That's so cool...for some reason I was thinking you were going to say that you also got engaged at the graveyard too! lol *grinning remembering your story of the graveyard*

Alright....good nite I have GOT to get to bed....this internet hopping just keeps me up so much! lol

Peter said...

Happy Engagement Anniversary Java! [and Superman].

What a great result with the apology, but this is just a first step, you don't know what happened when he hung up the phone...

Greg said...

What a sweet proposal story. ("Yes, I'll marry you, but not if you interrupt my story again.")

What fun to read some fun stuff from you. Glad to hear things seem to me on the up-tick. Love that movie Waitress.

Are those clocks modeled after the old Felix the Cat design? : )

Anonymous said...

Great news about Sproing and your grades!

A Lewis said...

1982?? Isn't that about the year in which WE were born? Hehehe.
Congrats to you both!

sageweb said...

Great update..and Yay for Superman for finding the best woman ever!

Anonymous said...

LOL @ your acceptance of his proposal. I see a lot of myself in that little gem of a story. :)

Big hugs to you and sending good wishes for you and Sproing.

Sorted Lives said...

That was great!! Glad to see you two have made it 27 years. My GOD has time flown..

Sorted Lives said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Birdie said...

It's all good! Ramble on, my dear.

That apology is HUGE. Children don't understand the power of words, on others or themselves. The day may come when Sproing truly feels the power of his apology on himself. Great start.

AL? said...

Well, now I feel all warm and fuzzy (kinda like the scrambled eggs!) Nice to hear that you revel in the good times and take advantage of each and every little parcel of joy that comes along. ***Big, contented sigh***

Patrick said...

Finally checking in with my girl Java after way too long... life continues to be action-packed and 'interesting', but I'm glad to read your good news. Sproing's apology is huge, as Birdie says, and we'll hope is a first step in his realizing that 'hurting Mom' isn't a good way to exert control. I loved Waitress. Very well-constructed movie, I thought. Pleasant time with Diva, and happy memories from 11/2/82, it's all good, very good. Much love to you, Dear. XOXO

droba's keeper said...

Am I at the right blog??!! This sounds positive and happy and good! We've reversed our lives! Sorry I haven't been around much but I HAVE missed you. Aunt Flo has come to the Casa and life will never be the same. Happy engagement anniversary!

tornwordo said...

Finally some happy news yay! Congrats on the 27 years too!