Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's all good

Too much time has passed since my last blog post. I want to update more often. The time and a good subject haven't coincided before now. Today, however, I had a blog-worthy experience. 

My dear darling daughter Light was in a stage production of some sort tonight. It was a variety show lip sync thing, the purpose of which is fuzzy to me. It was of course for fun, but there may have been other stated purposes. She wanted me to be there and I arranged to go. 

I set out good and early so that we would have time to hang out before the show. The sun was shining brightly behind me and the clear sky expanded in all directions as I drove my beloved truck, Manny, on the country highway toward college town. I had MP3 tunes in my ears and 300 cubic inches of engine at my command. All was good with the world.

Until the klunk

Has that ever happened to you? You're rolling along thinking everthing is copacetic when all of a sudden you hear and feel a powerful change in your plans. 

The engine died and I was coasting down a slight hill. I wrangled the ol' boy into the center turn lane. Power steering must have both steering and power to be power steering. Without power it is an upper body work-out. I stepped on the brake to stop the truck, and he stopped. We can't assume too much in these situations, so stopping when I depress the brake is a good sign. I turned the key, and indeed the engine began firing on all cylinders. So far so good. I pushed in the clutch and put that transmission in first gear. That's when things went south. As I released the clutch and gave him some gas he did nothing. Well, not exactly nothing. There was no movement in the RPM gage. That needle was hugging nuthin'. With the increase in gear engagement, however, we had some impressive klunk*, rattle, and roll. That's "roll" as in "sway," not to be confused with forward movement. 

No first gear, so I tried second gear. No second gear. At that point I decided the best course of action was to get out of the middle of the road. Since I'd stopped the truck and the engine would no longer move the wheels I had to provide movement with my raw Java power. Those of you who have met me know that Java's raw physical power is pretty wimpy.** A nice fellow passing by stopped to help me push Manny into a parking lot. 

Superman and I have been members of AAA auto club since 1984. It says so on my AAA card. Since we frequently drive old cars with comensurately old parts, we have had many occasions to be very glad we have AAA emergency roadside assistance service. I called the AAA help line and before too long a very friendly Bubba came with his awesomely powerful superduty flatbed tow truck to carry Manny back to Greenwood. Technically it seems that the flat bed truck is called a carrier. That's what Google leads me to believe, anyway. 

Once Bubba got Manny onto his carrier bed this is what we saw. It isn't pretty.
This is Manny's rear end. No, really, that's what they call it! It's also known as a differential. It isn't supposed to have that big gash in the middle of that plate. You see it there, with the gash that looks like it was attacked by a rabid can opener? Yeah. That explains the klunk and jerk, doesn't it?

Believe it or not, that's a good sight to see under the circumstances. I thought the problem was in the tranny. Yep, that's what they call it. Otherwise known as a transmission.  But since the problem is obviously in the differential, that is much better than having a wrecked transmission. 

Here, let me show you:
On the left is the differential. It is a complicated compilation of gears and associated machined parts. And below is a cut-away image of a transmission. Do you see how much more complicated that sucker is? In Auto Mechanic-ese, complicated = very expensive. The transmission is also more difficult to access. It's located under the front of the car, behind the engine, in the center of the underbelly of the vehicle aproximately even with the dashboard. The differential, centered between the two back wheels, is much easier to access. In Auto Mechanic-ese, "easier to access" = expensive, but not as expensive as "hard to access." Let's face it: in Auto Mechanic-ese, handing the mechanic your car keys = expensive. 

But you know what? It's all good. I had my cell phone and was able to call Light to tell her I couldn't make it, to call Superman and give him the news, and to call AAA to get a tow back to town. The wind was pretty cold out there in the parking lot, but inside my beloved truck with the sun shining low through the windows I was very comfortable. I had my big 52 ounce mug of ice water with me. The hour or so I spent in the truck was an opportunity to clean out the trash. I filled two plastic grocery bags with the trash from my back floorboard. I found my road atlas, too. And I finally found the match to that garden glove that's been in my console box for 2 years. It was an adventure in discovery, actually, but some of the stuff I found is just a little bit TMI for me to post. 

I am sorry that I missed Light's performance and the rest of the show which I understand was side-splittingly funny. But over all I think the evening went pretty well. It's all good.

* A "klunk" is worse than a "clunk." Trust me.
** My awesome Java powers are primarily emotional in nature. 

17 comments:

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

That sorta reminds me of when I had this old chevette and the timing belt snapped. Egads. The car sure did stop working really quickly!

Birdie said...

Oh, I know that "klunk." The power steering quit on the highway in nowhere, Kentucky. (It was the fuel pump.) Thus began my "weekend from hell." You've read about it.

Your awesome Java power is in your intellect and compassion, which are off-the-charts superhero strong. Of course, that meant nothing to Manny at the time.

Joe Masse said...

I was rejoicing when I read that you were back in Manny again (after having seen you, in my minds eye, sitting nostalgically in the cab when he was laid up before), only to be klunked upside the head a moment later. Sigh... trucks and those who love them. Hope he can get unklunked soon, and appreciated the clean-out. Vehicles, in my experience, enjoy an occasional clean-out.

A Lewis said...

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.....I've had to wrestle an ol' boy to the curb a time or two...and it ain't pretty! Probably prettier with you doing it than me, quite frankly. Bummer on missing the show...that sucks. I swear, you have ALL OF THE FUN!

TigerYogiji said...

I thought that fairies did it all once you turned the key. Who knew?!! ;)

TigerYogiji said...

I thought that fairies did it all once you turned the key. Who knew?!! ;)

Ultra Dave said...

Yep! anything to be done these days is expensive, the only difference is the degree. At least you made the most of it! That's sure to score some points with somebody somewhere!

Rox said...

Better a rear end than a tranny!

(I never thought I'd ever leave THAT comment anywhere!)

Hope Manny is on the road soon.

Anonymous said...

That is a dramatic photo. Isn't it fun when the Universe says, "No. Stop here. Clean out your poor truck. Relax and take stock."

Thanks for not telling us all of Manny's secrets. Like with dessert, it's always good to leave us wanting more.

Anonymous said...

I think I'll clean out the car before he (Snowflake) makes! I just love the way you tell your adventures.

Ur-spo said...

dear me you never have a dull moment do you?
I am glad you have a good positive spin on it all.
It helps to laugh.

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

At least it wasn't ripped out by one of those sand worms from "Dune". That would have been AWFUL!!!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Okay, as a gay man I think I got it. What you're saying is that it is better to have that back gear thingy break, than the tranny what ya call it with all those little do-hicky gagets inside, because the garage man will charge more.

tornwordo said...

Aw, you dangle the TMI in front of me and then, whoosh, whisk it right away. I'm imagining all sorts of things.....you probably don't want to know ; )

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the car trouble but the way you wrote this post had me giggling.

Butch said...

Sorry to hear about your car troubles. It hasn't been fair and you certainly have had your share of automotive failures. Considering the current shape of the economy, I'm wondering if you would get a terrific deal on another vehicle? Good luck with the repairs.

Patrick said...

Oh Dear Sweet Java, way to make lemonade out of lemons! I'm sorry you missed Light's show too, but this was hysterical. I, like many others, am dying to know the TMI, but maybe that's all for the best. You know me, now boundaries. Glad you found your atlas at least (say those last three words five times fast).