Saturday, October 11, 2008

NCOD

It's a little late in the day, I suppose, but when is it too late to make a statement about coming out?

As I mentioned to someone this week, I'm a huge proponent of coming out. Recently there have been some high profile coming out events. My most recent favorite is Father Geoffrey Farrow of Fresno, CA, the Catholic priest who basically came out to his congregation during the worship service last Sunday. That took some serious testicular fortitude.

When there are high profile instances of coming out, does that make it easier for the average Joe Blow or Jane Doe to come out to his or her family, friends, coworkers? I guess it depends on all sorts of situational variables. 

Anyway, on this National Coming Out Day 2008, this is my statement:

I am not gay. However, I support those who are homosexual or transgender. I encourage the acceptance of homosexuality as a normal and natural variation of the human condition. I support actions, events, legislation, institutions that lead to equal civil rights to homosexuals and the transgendered. 

And I think I've mentioned here before that my goal in life is to end homophobia in the western world. I intend to get as close as I can to that goal.

15 comments:

Stephen R. said...

Thank you for your beautiful statement. I hope we see and end to homophobia in our lifetime. I'm doubtful that it would happen, but I'm hopeful.

Stephen said...

Such beautiful sentiments, lovely lady. If only there were more people in the world like you.

Unknown said...

wow-i completely forgot about coming out day. i must be getting old...

A Lewis said...

You'll never know how much your affirmation means to those of us who on the receiving end (that doesn't sound quite right...but you know what I mean!). Giant hugs from an admirer.

Birdie said...

Beautifully put, my dear. Just beautiful.

Ur-spo said...

OOXX

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

You'll always be an honorary gay in my book! :)

Bigg said...

The world is a better place for having people like you in it.

Besides, being supportive of us AND a great mother makes you just as fabulous.
;)

Mimi said...

(((((Virtual Hugs))))))))) Just aren't big enough!

bigg, you hit the nail on the head with that statement.

This woman, is priceless!

Anonymous said...

very nice

sageweb said...

Such a great and wonderful lady that you are.

Butch said...

Great sentiments! I wish we had more like minded supporters with us like yourself.

"Onward and Upward!"

Self said...

I just would like you to know that my parentals hae fallen in love with your blog! They talk about it with me all the time now. I'm glad they see its amazing-ness. If only I could convince them to blog as well.
Yay, NCOD! Making gay braclets is fun!
Self

Dr. Sparky said...

We need a hell of a lot more people to come out just like you, you beautiful thing!

Mark in DE said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment that coming out is extremely important. Thank you, Java, for joining our fight for equality and normalization, even though it doesn't directly affect you (since you're not gay).

Hugs,

Mark :-)