Thursday, October 30, 2008

gone but not gone and back again

I read a book. A good book. A very good book. You should read it, too.

That's where I've been for the last day or two. Enmeshed in How Long Has This Been Going On? It's a novel, and a compelling set of stories at that. 

When I get swept up in a good story, or an adventure, or a personal crisis, or whatever captures my attention I tend to focus on it. This is one of those books that pulled me in and didn't let me go. I hardly slept, barely ate, and didn't bathe the whole time I read the thing. That shower last night felt really good! :) Maybe it isn't so good to hyper-focus on stuff like that. Other things get neglected. I have that kind of passion. But I'm done with the book now and ready for some of life again. 

Right before I started How Long... I read a history of the Stonewall riots. It also was a very good book, but not nearly as compelling a read as the novel. It took me nearly a month to get through that one, just because I kept coming over here to blog and stuff. My point, though, is that it's good to read up on the social sea change of the 60s era to get a good perspective of what the culture was like for gays in the mid 20th century compared to what it's like today. The novel How Long... covers that time span. I feel as though I had a good background knowledge to appreciate the novel. I have been wanting to read up on Stonewall anyhow, since I really didn't know too much about it. 

Now I'm ready to get to the next book in my HUGE stack of books I want to read. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sigh....I remember reading. I miss it.

tornwordo said...

My stack keeps getting bigger along with my "to read" list.

Birdie said...

What's next?

Anonymous said...

My pile is too large and's gathering dust....

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! That book changed my total perspective.

You now have a little more insight into the way I think.

Not that it's about me or anything... ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! That book changed my total perspective.

You now have a little more insight into the way I think.

Not that it's about me or anything... ;)

Stephen said...

I used to read all the time and it saddens me that I've allowed myself to become too busy. Note to self: find the time, start reading, again.

Anonymous said...

Well I want you to know that because of you I just went off on an hour book track looking this on up and his other one "I Think We're Not In Kanas Anymore" or something like that and I ordered them (used) from amazon.com....both for about $9 that shipping & handling....lol...now I have even more books to read!