I'm getting tired of school. It's tedious. Perhaps I'm bored with it. This is probably normal. I'm not going to fret about it just now.
The leaves are finally turning. It's the middle of November, for cryin' out loud! Don't we usually see fall colors earlier than this around here? I don't remember. Sad, I've lived at this latitude for close to two decades and I can't remember what fall looks like. We've had some cool days and a couple of light frosts. Today and yesterday were overcast with some rain, which I enjoy in moderation. Sometimes the clear bright days of fall are too bright for my tired old eyes. The rain is restful.
I'm currently procrastinating. I've got two important assignments that need attention, one that's due tomorrow morning. That's what I've come to tell you about. I'm having a hard time putting this mess into words, much less figuring out what to do with it once it's written. Let me explain.
Art. The assignment is to sculpt a narrative, to tell a story of something from my life. First of all I need to write the story. That's the part that's due tomorrow. I've decided (and the professor strongly encouraged me) to tell the story of my transformation from homophobic right wing religious goody-two-shoes to the more open, affirming GLBT advocate I am today. Those of you who have followed this blog for a while know the story. It's a story of abstract concepts without many concrete nouns that are easy to depict with clay. I've been struggling since last Friday to figure out what parts of the story to tell and how to tell it. Right now I'm rambling here on the blog, tossing around ideas in hopes that things will coalesce.
the church - religion - belief and conviction - cognitive dissonance - evidence to the contrary - change, radical change - reexamination - love - acceptance - curiosity - emotional upheaval - nervous breakdown - [have you identified any concrete nouns yet?] - rejection/acceptance - questioning fundamental assumptions - personal growth -
That's about it, as far as I can think now. I'm now going to take my ramblings to the document and make the mess there, then hopefully sort it into a coherent narrative. If it works I'll post it here later.
5 comments:
Hello! It's Dora, from "The Diary of an Aspiring", where you commented so kindly on my post. And I figured that was a sign that I should actually comment on your blog instead of just reading it. So.
I love your rambles, as you call them. Also the way you write, which is both easy to read and thoughtful. Most blogs are one or the other. You're both, the difficulty of which I really appreciate now I've started blogging too.
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! And good luck with your coherent or otherwise narrative-making.
Yrs,
D.
Sounds good. Now, GET TO WORK!
Jim
I would love to read that! Get crack-a-lackin'!!! :)
Sorry I'm late. How'd the story turn out?
You are a great writer. Very intrigued by your blog, just like a good book. Can't wait to read more.
Post a Comment