Light and Sproing took the little car (Eva) to the airport in the "big city to the north" to meet Grandmommy's plane. That went well. So now my Mama is in town. She and I went out to dinner tonight. We had a pleasant visit. She's here at the house now, visiting with the kids. Each of the grand kids is showing Grandmommy his or her special achievements. Light has displayed her pottery, Twitch showed her all the nifty stuff he did in his PhotoShop class. The youngsters showed off their certificates of attendance. Grandmommy is appropriately impressed.
While big sister and little brother were off collecting the grandmother, I took Diva to her first gynecology appointment. Did I mention that she's 11 years old? Actually, today is her half birthday, so she is now 11.5 years old. She had her first pelvic exam (it's worse than a prostate exam, really) because she has had her first sexual intercourse. This is shit. They did a pregnancy test. It was negative. I figured it would be, but WTF. They are testing for chlamydia and gonorrhea. Results will be back in a few days. I expect negative results from that, too. The point, really, is to demonstrate to the child the dangers inherent. I believe the doctor talked to her and showed her some really nasty, scary pictures of what can happen with STDs. That was what the nurse and I talked about when I called last week. We left the office with a prescription for birth control pills for my 11.5 year old daughter.
On the way home, Diva was going on about how glad she was that the pregnancy test was negative. She was revelling in the drama, thoroughly enjoying herself. I know that game. I put the quietus on that one. I told her that this is not a game. I lectured her all the way home. This is NOT fun or funny. You must not do "that" again until you are ready to handle the possible consequences. Do you have a high school diploma? Do you have a job? Can you pay for an apartment? Do you have transportation? Can you buy food for yourself and a child? Can you pay for utilities? ("What's that?") Can you pay your medical bills? Or do you have insurance? Etc. I'm sure she tuned me out. If she doesn't like it, it doesn't apply to her. The child is not right in the head.
I'm having a hard time. Taking her to the doctor was so hard. It has been so difficult emotionally, this whole thing. I'm terribly depressed. I've been on the verge of tears most of this week. Watching their 5th grade celebration thingie this morning was heart breaking under the circumstances.
We do what we must. I carry on. I take the next step, breathe the next breath. But my mind is coming unglued. My heart is in tatters.
To complicate matters, my mother is in town. Worse yet, my in-laws arrive tomorrow. I will survive. I am a survivor. I'm just not sure how healthy I'll be on the other side.
Coming up: the story that explains why I will not be preparing dinner for the in-laws.
9 comments:
My Dear, I wish -- like nothing I've ever wished before -- that I had answers. Beautiful, perfect answers...to make it all okay. To make it go away. But I don't. I'm astounded at what we are required to go through during our time on this planet. I've said it before, and I'll say it again....and I'll probably even say it a million more times..... I wish you peace and comfort in your crazy life. Deep in the heart and mind...where no one else sees.
There is nothing wrong with curling up into a ball and bawling your ever-lovin' head off if you feel like it. The emotional cleanse might do you a world of good! Just don't forget to come back up for air! I hope she's scared straight but I have my doubts. You gotta get a hold of one of those plastic crying babies and make her take care of it for a week. I'm praying for her and you. You'll get through it. You will.
breathe, remember to breathe. chant the mantra "it'll be over soon" over and over again. and then breathe some more before you fall over.
excellent job getting through the graduation thing. it's awesome that you were able to hang on and get through it. i hope you're patting yourself on the proverbial (and real) back for doing so.
I am an occasional visitor here... but I send you love and hope and peace!
I love that gay pride photo BTW...
Wendy
I'm amazed by your strength, but no one can be strong forever. They just can't. Parenting is the toughest job on the planet and will test us in ways we never dreamt could happen.
There's a book called WHY DO THEY ACT THAT WAY by David Walsh. It's an easy to read, and it explains why teens and tweens are the way they are (there is actually stuff going on in their frontal lobe that make them more prone to being argumentative, over-emotional and crazy risk-takers). It also helps with some strategies to use to help combat this rough age. Might help a bit though no book can give all the answers. . .
Wish I could give you a big hug. Hang in there!
You are amazingly strong. I know you wish you didn't have to be. Go ahead and have that cry. It really does help. I've had quite a few in my car, when I was away from everyone and everything and could be alone with my thoughts.
Then pull back and detach. Examine the circumstances as though they were happening to someone else. I think that's crucial to your emotional survival. It keeps the hurt from going too deep. Continued prayers for you, sweetie. And have some chocolate.
wow what an experience. 11 years old! I hope something the doctor said scared her...this is a time you pray for nightmares.
Do whatever you need to do to get through the Family Visit.
I recommend bitch-slapping your mother-in-law.
Bill made me laugh!!! If you follow his advice, please film it!
Now, about Diva. Oh woman, I know that enjoyment that comes from being the center of attention all TOO WELL! It's almost as if nothing you are saying is even being comprehended...you could be speaking in some ancient Egyptian dialect and she'd be hearing the same thing...NOTHING. It's all about "ooooh! I'm getting attention!!" Yep, you know I've been there, more times than I care to remember. But the fact remains that she did have to go for that doctors visit, and they did show her pictures, and they did try to scare her...the people at that doctors office are probably just ask sickened by Diva's actions as you are and certainly want nothing more than to stop her now. The only scary thing is the fact she'll be on birth control. Don't get me wrong, it's better she is than if she wasn't. But with Diva, the scary part is that she seems like the kind of girl who would see the fact that she's taking birth control as almost a license to now go out and do it some more because she'll think she's safe. Oh lord. I'm shaking my head in empathy.
You on the other hand, handled this all amazingly well! You're stronger than you think Miss Java Jones! Don't ever discount what you are capable of. Like the drunks say, "one day at a time".
Sending love and a hug.
Post a Comment