Friday, May 2, 2008

We were this desperate in 1977

I just got this in an email from Mama. Evidently it has been making the email rounds for a few months. I Googled it and found the original blog post. You MUST go read it if you have yet to see it. I present you with a tantalizing tidbit...
OMG what were we thinking?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even when I was living within that era, I thought the fashions were ugly and freaky! I do remember when the western style was in. I had a couple of those shirts. And that big belt? I had a white one with matching white shoes.

Java said...

Steve: OUCH! White belt, white shoes. Makes me shudder to think of it. There's a picture floating around Mama's house of me with buck teeth, that sexy pre-teen shape of a toilet paper tube, wearing an orange and red and brown horizontal striped dress. Scary

Anonymous said...

This is all coming back you know.

Java said...

It was obviously such a bad idea 30 years ago, who would bring it back? And why?

dykewife said...

aw, cummon! :) that was the height of fashion in those days. that over the coat lapel wide collar thing made the guys so handsome.

it was scary going back to school and seeing some of the fashions that have come back. it was like a bad acid flashback. *shudder*

Java said...

dykewife: The wide collar, the wide lapel, the wide belt, the wide pant legs, the wide feathered hair. yeah, fashion nightmares.

Unknown said...

wow! am i on a different wavelength than the rest of the commenters.

i think these looks are extremely original and fun-filled. of course, if one is not slim, the horizontal stripes can be harsh, but the wide leg trousers, (flares, i think) tend to be slimming. and the haircuts- that "dry look" and the "wedges"- sheer ecstacy...

Brilliant or Something said...

Holy heck. I am eternally grateful that I wasn't born in the 70s!
I read thru some of the author's other posts and they're pretty much all in this same vein of hilarity.
I think I pulled something.

Butch said...

Oh yes, I remember it very well. I even had a friend fall off of his platform shoes!! ;-) If you want a bigger laugh, go back to the decade before and look at all the "bubble hairdos" that were "ratted" out and combed over slightly. ;-) By the 70s the women got their act together and it was the men's turn to have bazaar hair. Having stock in hairspray could have made a person wealthy during the 60s and 70s. ;-) Thanks for the stroll through memory lane.

Anonymous said...

all i can say is I was in highschool and then and it was VERY tramatic.....lol

Uncle Zoloft said...

I was raised by my Mom. I remember the early 70's as Recession Land. The latter half? I'm with Derek + I hung out with the stoners we were all jeans and flannel.

Birdie said...

Speak for yourself. I may have been there in the 70s, but I chose not to participate. (Disco? What's disco?) I was a beach bum.

Birdie

evilganome said...

Oh lordy! I was 22 in 1977. I do remember those fashions. (shudders) I can't believe some of the things that are coming back. Remember Qiana shirts? I'll stick with t-shirts and jeans thanks.

Anonymous said...

I so remember a similar experience at my paternal grandparents' home. Only they were Montgomery Ward catalogs. It was an afternoon of reminiscing. Only they were from the '60's, which weren't as flashy as your neat example here.