Thursday, May 22, 2008

Once more into the breach

Yep, it's late again. I'm doing well, though, because I have internet! My wireless connection went kaflooie mid-afternoon Tuesday. Superman spent many hours on the phone with tech support Wednesday to no avail. Alas, I am hooked to the router with a wire, and NOT in my nest!

This is my nest


I'm in the living room, where all sorts of people pass by. Only C and S and one of their friends is awake now, and they are talking in their bedroom. I'm alone at last with my computer and the internet!! I think I sha'n't show you a picture of my living room. It looks much worse than the bedroom right now. Oh, dear.

We seem to have acquired another one. Now our strays are taking in strays. C and S have a friend who is having a tough time with his mother right now. So this friend, Gary, is staying over sometimes. He spent almost every night here last week. He was here last night, I know. They told me he would be at his mother's tonight, but the boys are in there talking with someone, and I don't know if it's Gary or not. He's a nice guy, Gary. He has long black hair and a goatee. They told me his Grandma kicked him out of her house because he wouldn't cut his hair. Oy. I suspect there is more to the story than that. Nevertheless, trouble is a brewin' in his life. I haven't had a chance to have a good sit-down-tell-me-all-about-it talk with him yet.

Superman stayed home from work Wednesday. His legs hurt a lot when he woke up, and he had practically no energy. The dear man has a systemic herpes zoster infection and frequently has outbreaks of shingles. There is a herald spot that comes up on his lower back/hip area, and usually within a day he'll start getting very sore. Usually the pain goes up his back and around his torso, usually on one side. This time it has gone down his legs. He was in bed for a while this morning, but he discovered that if he got up and moved around the pain was less intense. So he puttered around the house until he was exhausted, then lay on the bed until the pain was too bad to lie still anymore. He was very tired by the end of the day. He's asleep now.

I'm planning to take another trip next week. Heading north this time. Details are still sketchy. I am looking forward to the drive! The first night out I think I'll be camping. In the mountains! Appalachia here I come! But I am ultimately destined for a large metropolitan area yet to be revealed.

C and S are in the kitchen now. Their friend has left. (It wasn't Gary) This is what they do. They stay up very late (often all night, in S's case). Sometime in the middle of the night they get hungry, go into the kitchen, and cook something. More often than not they leave a mess. So when the rest of the family, by which I mean Superman, get up in the morning the kitchen is a mess. This has been an ongoing source of stress in the household. I just reminded S to clean up after himself. We shall see.

I'm learning a lot by sitting here quietly, listening to the discussion in the kitchen. S just said that Gary was suspended from school today. (He attends the same [prison] school as Twitch) It seems the young man did not have his student ID hanging around his neck like a noose. He apparently has lost it. So they suspended him. S doesn't know the whole scoop. He thinks it's just for Thursday. But still. School is out for the summer in just 2 weeks. How big a deal is it that someone isn't wearing his ID? How big a deal should it be that someone isn't wearing his ID? I hate that school. I wish Twitch didn't have to go there.

Enough of this rambling. I'm going to bed. Soon. Really. I promise.

14 comments:

Indigo said...

Doug'computer has had to be wired up for quite some time. It hasn't supported a wirelesss router in a long time. It's getting a bit long in the tooth. I wish I could afford a new one for him. /well.. at least he has a new reliable car, hee hee.

Suspended for not carrying an ID? Wow... that sounds so... Soviet somehow.

tornwordo said...

That reminds me of a high school incident. It was raining and cold and I had forgotten my id. We had an outdoor campus and I sought refuge in the library during the break. The librarian expulsed me from the library for not having my id, even though I pled, being coatless, not to be sent back outside. I muttered "bitch" as I left and was nearly expelled from school for it. She was old then, I bet she's dead now.

Stephen R. said...

I love your nest! Looks like the perfect comfy space!

Birdie said...

My son was suspended in middle school for wearing a rubberband on his wrist. Yeah, you read right: a rubberband. "It is forbidden due to the potential to be used as a weapon." While he was serving his in-school suspension, he was beat up by a fellow detainee. He got three days' home suspension for defending himself. What a nightmare that school was.

It is an homage to your home that C and S consider it a place of refuge for their friends. More mess, yes, but succor for the disenfranchised. What a wonderful place it must be, mess and all.

Unknown said...

personally, i love your nest. the wireless router thing can be an enigma. but so can keeping up with all the rules and regulations of public schools, too. it must have some import or there wouldn't be a regulation. maybe it has to do with strangers being on campus somehow. glad you're doing well, my friend.

Anonymous said...

You realize that school is no longer safe, nor is it particularly about learning. Any education that a child gets in public school happens only by the grace of God. That any "runts" don't get eaten by the pack is nothing short of a miracle.

matty said...

It sounds like there is so much love in your house! ...and I know there is so much love in your heart!

Gary is lucky to have a place to stay -- and be safe.

I love your nest! It looks so comfortable and warm!

Brilliant or Something said...

One of the more galling things about the [prison] they attend is that such treatment is NOT universal. When I was there I wound wander into class a minute or so late, go places I 'shouldn't' be when I 'shouldn't' be there, was obviously ADD, and cuss like a sailor in French in my Journalism class where the teacher actually knew what I was saying.
And I never even got written up.
It seems to be all in the teachers' and mainly the administration's perception of a student that the trouble lies. Since I otherwise made the school look good, they really left me alone. And picked on the 'problem' kids.
ahem.../rant.

Anonymous said...

It's funny what teens give away by what they don't say....Man you've had a lot of puter issues!

Anonymous said...

"strays are attracting strays".

I like that. It says much about the people and the vibe of a home that others want to be around them. that

Anonymous said...

cancel "that" above. :)

Butch said...

Some people shouldn't be allowed to teach or be near kids. It is obvious their rules are more important that that boy's education. It is also, obvious that they know this boy so not having the ID should have been a no-brainer. Send him to the office to get a temporary pass to let him into his classes until a new one is made. No, they have their rules and whether they know the child or not, they will not recognize that child without the ID. That is more important than that boy's education and being able to take his finals to gratuate to the next grade. Ridiculous . . .

I remember being in a study hall once when in grade 8 and the teacher monitoring it was an older cranky woman putting in her time before she retired who really had no business teaching. She loved the female students but all the boys were a threat and she made it plain that she didn't like them. There was intermittent talking throughout the class which she ignored, but when I opened my mouth, she saw me and called me out and up in front of the class berating me and calling me a bunch of names. I had enough of this and said in my own bravura, " Yea, and you're a bitch!" I thought she was going to have a coronary. Well, that did it, there was pandimonium and the study hall laughing, so I was sent down to the principal's office. The principal was quite tall, not unlike "Lurch" in the "Adam's Family" TV show with deep set eyes, and a scruffy face from his teenage years of battle with acne and I thought, I really did it this time and was toast. I explained to him exactly what had transpired and I thought I caught a glimpse of a smile which he got control of immediately. He finally said very kindly, that I could spend the rest of my study hall here in the principal's office which turned out to be fun running errands and helping the support staff with odds and ends.

My point is many times students fall through the cracks when teachers care less about education and more about deportment and disipline.

Butch said...

That should be discipline.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow I love your "nest" too! I think I will take a pic of mine and put it on my blog....this could start something you know? lol