Monday, December 26, 2011

Tales from Boxing Day

If I were in the UK I'd celebrate Boxing Day, but I don't quite know how to do it here. I need British guidance.

Christmas was wonderfully low key. The kids each got two gifts from us, one major purchase and one handmade thingie from me. The two teenagers got handheld games - PSP for Sproing and DSi for Diva. Twitch got a vacuum cleaner. That was fun. It's so practical and not at all elegant, and I enjoyed that much. We also got a vacuum cleaner for Light, but she wasn't with us for The Day. She'll be driving down from PA in a couple of weeks and we'll do Christmas with her then. I knit a scarf for Sproing, made a fleece blanket for Diva with a length of purchased fleece and a couple of packs of blanket binding. I made a balaclava for Twitch, sort of like this...
only not too much. Made it out of fleece, added extra insulation over the ears and face part. I am making a big woolen winter coat for Light, but haven't done much with it. The pattern pieces are cut out, but I haven't begun construction yet.

And for C I bought a mock turtleneck and a pullover sweater, both of which he really likes. He's been wearing the sweater, and he looks sexy in it, imho.

Since my kitchen is out of commission we went to a Chinese restaurant for dinner yesterday. That was great! We might continue to do that in years to come. I like cooking, and when Light is here we all have a good time in the kitchen. But man, it's so easy to go out for Chinese!

My big project for today, and consequently my big gripe for today, is buying bras. Penney's has a good sale on bras today (this week?). I bought eight bras for $111.28, which for those of you who don't purchase bras is a pretty good deal. I bought eight bras, came home and threw away all my old bras because... damn. I haven't bought any bras in a couple of years and all of mine were in various stages of nasty. So I'm starting fresh with all new ones. And I HATE shopping for bras! When these wear out I'm going to the plastic surgeon and getting my boobs cut off. OK, not really, but the idea is tempting. I want the FTM sex change boob surgery. Well, probably not really, but having these boobs is a pain in my neck (back, chest, arms, etc.). (I wear a D-cup size, and that's enough boob to weigh things down a lot.) When I got home from the store I asked Superman if he really really really likes my boobs. He assures me he does. He had better show some strong appreciation for them or I'm cutting them off.

There are lots of pictures of this kitchen floor fiasco. I will get a picture post together soon. I find it difficult to get pictures onto this blogspot thing. I have to put them in just the right order, and do the pics first because they don't insert where I want them. And it's hard to move them from one place to another in the post. Perhaps I don't know how to do it right, but that's my life. Anyway, I want to share pictures of our kitchen. And perhaps a photo or two of our understated Christmas decoration.

Until then, I'm going to have another beer. Because bra shopping drives me to drink.

6 comments:

Rox said...

We "celebrate" Boxing Day here too. Mostly by shopping and eating leftovers. Yesterday, I couldn't bear the thought of shopping crowds so I sat at home and ate instead. :)

Jim said...

Boxing Day is BIG here! We have it today the 27th, as the 26th is a holiday in Nova Scotia and stores are not 'allowed' to be open!! Imagine THAT in the US!

Bras! Got to love them! lol My sister had very large breast until her back pain got so bad due to them, that she had them 'reduced' down to a more reasonable size. And her back is better! Maybe this is a more practical thing to do at this time. But of course the rather obscene health care system you guys have would probably prevent anyone from doing this....even for 'medical (back problem) reasons!

Chinese does sound good to me too! You may have started something here.
All the best,
Jim

Birdie said...

My sister finally had reduction surgery, from HH to the smallest they could offer: a perky DD. She's 5'2", and she's in heaven because her back no longer hurts.

I didn't have to cook Christmas dinner this year, since we drove to my brother's house. I could get used to that.

Ur-spo said...

bra shopping does the same to me.

Joe Masse said...

Some crazed fan once threw her bra at John Lennon on stage. "I didn't keep it, mind you," he said, "it didn't fit."

While we're on the subject, my truck is back on the road after being laid up for a front end alignment. I felt bereft and though of you. It’s not easy to convey the unlikely affection one can develop for a truck. I’m not surprised that it’s a pan-gender experience.

Brilliant or Something said...

Oh, bra shopping, how I loathe you. Looooooooooooooathe. The things aren't made by women, that's my theory. I am glad you had a pleasant Christmas experience. I still ended up cooking what would have been enough food for the whole family, even if I wasn't there.