Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Let me tell you about it

I have an "a" that works again! Believe it or not, the broken "a" key is one of the things I have allowed to keep me from posting. Sad but true. The "a" key isn't completely fixed good-as-new, but it works pretty well. I ordered a replacement, and it didn't work quite right, so I fiddled with it a bit and now it works most of the time.

In my last post I detailed the gay drama going on with C. Most of that has calmed down. He's much better now. Still a couple of areas concern me, but nothing that I think has a major bearing on his ability to function. He says he's not going to pursue a relationship right now. If something develops with anyone he interacts with normally, he won't kick it out of bed, as such. But he's not actively seeking a boyfriend.

The major news story in Javaland concerns Diva. For details of the present mess see here, here, and here. She appeared before the court yesterday (Monday). She has been placed on probation for six months and sent home. Being as how she's a juvenile, we her parents are also sort of on probation, kinda. We are mandated to take her to all of her classes, appointments, meetings, etc. She must participate in the activities, of course. We only have to make sure she gets there. She has to take an anger management course. I talked to her service coordinator today about that. I think it would be a good idea for me, Superman, and Sproing to also take the course. Sproing sure as heck needs the skills, and Superman and I can surely learn a thing or two about how to better handle anger. I'd like to know just what Diva is learning so I can be consistent with it, use the same terms, etc. at home.

I don't know all the details of her probation requirements. She has to go to therapy, which she does already anyway. I arranged for a different therapist, though. She never developed a good rapport with the lady she has worked with for a year or more. I hope the new gal works out better. Diva will also have an RPS worker, that social worker type who helps with life skills, social interaction, etc. I've mentioned before the RPS worker who worked with Sproing. He was fantastic. He still is fantastic, but he left South Carolina and went back out west. I miss him. He and I had that rapport thing down pat. Anyway, Diva will be working with a new RPS worker and Sproing is getting a new one, too. I get to meet both of them tomorrow afternoon. Wee-ha.

We'll also continue with the family therapist lady who comes to our home on Thursday evenings. She's great. We have learned to work well together, though she is yet another in an increasingly long list of therapist/social worker-type people I have to work with. Of course we now add a probation officer to the list. We have our first meeting with the probation officer next Monday.

And so it goes. And Diva is here. So far things have been mostly OK. She has copped an attitude with me a few times. She fights against the restrictions of childhood. She thinks she knows everything and I know nothing, that she can make her own decisions about every aspect of her life. Part of our job here and now is to teach her to respect authority. You know. Like to not hit a police officer with a broom stick.

I know she has problems, organic and inherited. But she also has problems that stem from inadequate parenting. Maybe. I think. We haven't been as strict or consistent with her as we should. We're too nice. Or something. Yes, I do accept some of the blame for her lack of respect for authority (and for me). Not all of it. But some.

Superman has a plan for us, for her, for now. She is here. We will do what we need to for her, to the best of our ability, and see how things develop. If she improves, if she does well, then great. If she plays the part of the good child for a while and then loses her shit, we'll call in the authorities again. In the short term, it's impossible to tell if she has genuinely improved. She's pretty good at pretending for a while. With age and experience, I hope she matures. I see maturity now that she didn't have two years ago. I want to say "of course" but with her we can't assume anything.

And Sproing got into a bit of trouble at school today for the second day in a row. That would be the day Diva came home and the day after Diva came home. Any relation, you think? He was disruptive in his final class of the day. Wouldn't stay in his seat and refused to do the assignment. I got the email with these details as I was leaving my school at 3:00. I realized that I had time to get to his school before they dismissed at 3:20, so I skedaddled over there. Horror of horrors, I showed up in his classroom! Yes, the dreaded mother came to school! How utterly embarrassing. We went into the hallway to talk privately. He didn't cooperate then, either. I took him home, the boy resisting all the way out of the building. He refused to walk with me. He followed approximately 10 feet behind me, looking all the while as if he was just walking down the hall with no thought to that strange woman over there. Whatever. Little bits at a time.

He calmed down a while after we got home. I sent him to his room, but he said he had to use the coping skill of going for a walk. I gave him 45 minutes to walk it off, then he had to be in his room. Instead of going for a walk he got the push lawnmower out and mowed the front lawn. It needed one last mow down before winter, and he did a good job. That kept him out a bit longer than the 45 minutes, but he was being useful and active. I stayed outside and supervised the whole thing. By the time his Daddy got home Sproing was pretty copacetic. He even did his science project that was due last week that we argued about this weekend.

Here's the thing: I offer to help. I give him good suggestions. But I don't know, because mother made the suggestion, he has to fight it. Oppositional Defiant Disorder. And middle adolescence. A deadly combination. He ended up retreating to his room and refused to do the project at all. And it was a simple project. Look up the rock cycle (whatever that is) on the internet (or in his science book, which I told him to bring home but he didn't) and draw a diagram of it on a piece of poster board. So he did that this evening before supper, willingly and cheerfully. But only today, not Sunday evening. Oy.

I'm tired and sore and emotionally drained. Time for this Java to lie down and go to sleep.

5 comments:

RG said...

Java needs a cocktail more than a nap. ;)

Anonymous said...

Java needs a vacation too. Hang in there.

Jim said...

Yes you must be exhausted! But damn, you guys are doing such a fantastic job of helping your kids! I admire your veracity and the 'kids' WILL benefit from it.

Ur-spo said...

I m so gl d to see you posting g in!!
I hope this me ns you will be more regul r now?

Rox said...

I'm glad she is home and I'm glad that you are all going to take the AM class too. I think that if you continue to be consistent and firm, things will turn around. Just know it's going to be tough and keep plodding along.