Sunday, January 8, 2017

The 2016-2017 Winter Holiday Gingerbread House


The original plan was to have it finished by Christmas. Turns out it was a much bigger endeavor than anticipated, and I finally finished it on January 2nd.

The construction process:

 I got half a dozen little battery operated tea lights to put inside the house. They've now been in there for about a week and aren't flickering much, but I'm impressed they lasted as long as they did.
This was the first plan for the back of the house. It didn't survive "contact with the enemy". 
 So I redesigned things and built it in five pieces
 The windows are made of clear hard candy. I put small pieces in the window holes and it melts together in a 350F degree oven. 
 Construction complete...
 See the little lights in the windows? 

Now to the decorations
Chimney details
 Front door and rainbow path to the door (that was Twitch's idea)
 The shrubbery is rice krispies with green food color and little red hot candies. The red hot candy also appears as a door knob. 
The back of the house
Details from the back
 This is a Cheeto snowman, in mockery of our president-elect.

 And there you have it. Happy New Year! 

9 comments:

Java said...

And now that I've posted this, we can eat it!! :)

slugmama said...

Very nice job Java!
You makin' me hongry....

Raybob said...

Duuuuude.
Fantastic!

Breenlantern said...

That looks fantastic. Great job. You get an A++++ for the Cheeto snowmen LOL

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! You are very talented! I love it and it looks delicious.

Catrina said...

Never in my life have I ever made, or had the urge to make a gingerbread house. It looks like it would take someone with a bit of artistic talent, of which I have zilch. But good on you for a good looking house!

Ur-spo said...

Brava !
I so enjoy your posts, but particularly the ones where you have some happiness .

Jessica Lynette Cain said...

It turned out great! Of course, I knew it would, but still lovely to see the pictures. Lol :) And I really enjoyed coming over to help out what little I could; we'll definitely have to do it again. :)

Travel said...

Nice house, I should try that some year. I did make fruit cakes this year.