Looks great, no? I melted together sugar, light corn syrup and a little bit of water and boiled that cauldron to the hard crack stage, approximately 300F degrees. A little bit hotter than 300, actually, and it's too hard. Also that's way too much. But that's not the kicker. Candy has flavor, right? The recipe called for 1 tablespoon of extract flavoring, recommending anise, lemon, orange, or peppermint. Don't like anise or peppermint, didn't want lemon, don't have orange. But I do have some cinnamon oil, and wouldn't that be good!?
As I pour the cinnamon in I think to myself "Self, cinnamon oil is a lot stronger than an extract." As I pour it in the pot. All the full tablespoon. For your edification, let me say that one tablespoon of cinnamon oil is a lot. The pot of candy is steaming pretty hard, and the oil, wow! Goes right into my sinuses. And my eyes. And I think to myself, "Shit!"
I poured the goo onto the prepared pan. Damn, that's a lot of candy. It puddled thick on the pan. I don't know if you can see from the picture, but those chunks of candy are probably 1/4 inch thick. Cory came into the kitchen and said "Wow, it smells like Big Red in here." Somewhat fearfully I tasted it. The stuff tastes strong, but it didn't kill either of us. Superman just returned from the supermarket and had a bite. He likes it.
Superman brought me some more ingredients so I can make another batch, this time smaller and much less flavored. Think I'll use vanilla. Vanilla candy sounds good, no?
We don't celebrate Christmas much around here. We eat a modest feast, exchange a gift or two, nothing extravagant. Years ago when we were active in the church Christmas was a big deal. Now that I don't worship regularly and the kids are grown Christmas doesn't seem so important. I just don't care much. My brother Mike shares similar sentiments. Talking to him the other day, he told me he actually decorated this year! He provided proof.
I hadn't planned to decorate (the gingerbread house being categorized as "holiday baking" not decorating) but he inspired me. Today we decorated. Here's proof.
I've had a rest now, so I'm heading back to the kitchen to try again. If I'm successful I plan to post again with the results.
UPDATE: The second candy batch worked much better. Smaller batch, subtle vanilla flavor, and lighter in color. The actual gingerbread house is next, and that will take a while to figure out. When and if I get it finished I'll post about that in a few days.
2 comments:
I thought the sweets look good.
My one concession to holiday decorating so far is to bring the boxes of tree an balls from the attic where the cats can sit on them down in the comfort of the living room.
The candy looks yummy.
Post a Comment