Thursday, January 28, 2016

Three months of nothing, now two posts in one day.

Have you ever had a dream in which you are trying to dial a phone number, but some of the numbers are missing from the number pad, or you can't read the number you're supposed to be dialing? Or perhaps you're trying to find an address but all the buildings on the street have confusing address numbers. Really, any kind of dream where numbers just aren't there for you the way you need them.

I took a nap this afternoon after writing that first post. Had some vivid dreams, but slept hard. When I awoke I wanted to sign on to my laptop. When I typed in my password the system said that's the incorrect password. Well shit. I changed my password in the admin settings a few days ago, but now the damned machine won't accept that one. It wants my official Microsoft password, which I can't remember off the top of my head. It's on an excel spread sheet stored on this computer you won't let me sign in to. Fuck a duck.

I also have it stored in Dropbox. Let's go to the tablet! Well shit, the tablet doesn't have Dropbox installed. Not a big problem, I installed Dropbox. Cool. But to sign in to Dropbox I need, you guessed it, my Dropbox password which is where? Yeah. I've had to reset my passwords on Dropbox, Microsoft, Twitter, and Shorty Awards today. As you can tell, I was finally successful getting into the laptop. Took an hour to do it, though. This is the real life experience that reminds me off the I-can't-dial-a-phone-number dreams. Perhaps it causes those dreams. Who knows?

Just last week I bought myself a new laptop. A Toshiba Satellite. I got one back in '08 and it lasted for six years or more. I loved it, was crushed when it finally died. For the past couple of years I've been using the Asus Superman got for himself. He now uses a fancy thing he got for work so I use his. I don't like it much, and the charging plug-in port is messed up because I dropped it. I dropped it again a couple of weeks ago and terminally messed up the plug-in port.

Superman and I tootled off to the Max Office Depot. (They've merged now. No clue what to call it.) Went right to the Toshiba, found the Satellite with all the features I like. The keyboard is backlit so I can see the keys in the dark. I like that part. What I don't like, however, is that the damned thing will shut itself off every so often. It's not supposed to do that. And what's with losing my password change?

Since we're planning to give it to Sproing, I took Superman's broken Asus to a local repair shop, and while there I asked about this bad behavior from the Toshiba. Ryan, he's the guy behind the counter, said the quality of Toshibas isn't what it used to be. Recommended I take this sucker back and get a different model. Like, not a Toshiba. He's recommending Acer or Asus these days. So I have to get all my info back off my new computer, take it back, hassle with Maximum Depot to get a new one, put the info back onto another one and do all the setup machinations again. Some people get a kick out of manipulating computer thingies like this. Me, I get anxious and feel vulnerable. I suppose this is good exercise anyway. And it builds character, no doubt.

Does this post sound like complaining? I'm trying not to complain so much. It's a New Years' Resolution kind of thing. But I keep forgetting to not complain, you know? We try. It's all we can do. Unless we are training to be Jedi Knights or whatever, which I'm not, so it's all good.


8 comments:

Travel said...

Welcome back, feel free to come here and vent anytime. I HATE, passwords, why can't this box lock with a key like my front door - not something I can't remember?

Ur-spo said...

I was delighted to see you posting. I stop by regularly to see if you will
I am glad to hear about any of your goings-on. Thanks for you updates.

Breenlantern said...

Keep sharing as you can, when you will. We're all still here, patiently waiting :-)

Sassybear
Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

Heartinhand said...

Get yourself an iPad. Seriously. I recently dug out my old laptop and I'm telling you, I ended up doing a factory restore on it. What a piece. iPad. Or anything else with an apple on it.

Anonymous said...

Anyone hear from Java? Know if she's ok?

Java said...

I'm here. So much to say I don't know where to start? Sorry

Which "Anonymous" is this?

I'll try to celebrate Memorial Day with a new post. It's a matter of gathering my thoughts, sitting down at the computer, and NOT getting distracted by Pinterest. Not as easy as it sounds.

Anonymous said...

It was me Java. Mimi of washing machine fame ;) Lost your email addy. <3

Anonymous said...

Just stopping in to send some love <3
Mimi