Sunday, October 20, 2013

Isn't it lovely

It's a beautiful day! I love this weather. It's cool but not cold. We slept with the windows open last night as we have done most of this month, but last night is the first time I've felt like I needed a cover. The sheets were balled up at the foot of the bed and I was too asleep to get them, so I just snuggle with Superman and that worked well.

This morning we woke up gradually. I love doing that. It wasn't late, though we went to bed pretty late last night. I painted the shelf (I am painting a shelf that goes in the kitchen) for a bit, then showered. Once I was clean, dressed, and in my right mind, Superman and I went to our favorite pizza and beer restaurant. They serve brunch on Sundays. I had the Milk Stout curry chicken crepes. Oh, my, they were good! Last week we were there and discovered a new beer they have on tap, Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout. As long as they have that on tap I doubt I'll drink anything else. So good!

I am trying to make my kitchen look better. Though the kitchen has a few good characteristics, it is overall a pain in my arse. There is lots of counter space but it's in one long row. It's a long walk from where I do most of my food preparation to the refrigerator. And the walls have been ugly for a long time. Finally we are fixing that. Superman got the old wallpaper off the walls and I have painted them a cheerful yellow. Did I tell you about that? Don't remember if I've mentioned it. There's a narrow shelf along the wall in the narrow part of the kitchen. Superman built it as a pantry shelf, and it's wide enough to hold cans and small boxes. We hadn't finished the wood so it was bare, natural shelving boards. Superman had to take the shelf off the wall to remove the wallpaper, of course, and I painted the wall yellow-ish. But that narrow part of the kitchen doesn't get good light, and the yellow actually made the space seem darker for some reason. I don't know. Anyway, I decided to paint the shelves bright white before hanging them on the wall again. They are in the process of turning white. Right now the paint has to dry thoroughly before I can add the last coat. I hope it's the last coat.

Diva turns 16 the first week of December. Since December weather doesn't make for a very good outside party, she has decided to have a combination early birthday/Halloween party. That happens this Friday. She has done a lot for it already. There's still some cooking to do, as I told her that baking cookies three weeks in advance was not a good idea. The end of the school grading period is this week, and the kids get a day off school on Friday, so Diva has this party planned to take place this coming Friday in the Civic Center park. There is a fairly nice gazebo/pavilion thing there, and a couple of smaller picnic shelters in the park. We could reserve the large pavilion, which is way bigger than we need, for $100. Or we could show up and claim any of the shelters, even the pavilion, for free and for nothing on a first-come basis. Unless of course the large pavilion is already reserved, which I doubt it will be in the middle of Friday afternoon. The party is scheduled for 3:00, but of course we will need to get there early to set up. Diva has decorations she wants to put up; streamers, a banner, etc. No balloons as far as I know, but they might also make an appearance. Who knows what terrors lurk in the mind of that girl. So we'll do the birthday thing this Friday, and be off the hook for a big to-do in December. That suits me fine.

I don't really have anything to say. I've spent all this space, all these words, saying much nothing. Let's see if I can jot down a few other random thoughts.

  • Oreo (the dog) has some powerfully smelly farts. 
  • The water now runs cold from the cold water faucet. Our cold water has been warm for months now. 
  • Autumn seasonal beers are my favorite of the seasonal stuff. 
  • I've been drinking too much beer and eating too much not-good-for-me stuff that I've gained five pounds. Oops. Time to cut back.
Let's talk baseball for a few. Both of the league championship series are finished. We watched Boston Red Sox beat the Detroit Tigers last night to win the American League championship. It was an excellent game in which a grand slam home run featured prominently. I haven't seen a grand slam in a few years, and the Red Sox managed two of them in this championship series! I love watching good baseball. Late last week the St. Louis Cardinals won the National League series from the L.A. Dodgers. Since the Braves didn't make it far into the post season, and the Pittsburgh Pirates finked out early also, the Cardinals were my next choice for Nat'l League champs. So I'm happy. And I strongly preferred Boston over Detroit, so that's good. No baseball tonight, but the World Series starts Wednesday evening. I am excited about that. Perhaps I'll abstain from beer until then. My waistline would benefit. Beer and baseball go so well together, you see. 

And that's all the rambling I can think to ramble today. It feels a lot like naptime now, anyway, so there we go. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like life is good! No drama for a while now. The kitchen project sounds excellent, come do mine next, please.

I love finding new beers. Haven't tried a good one for some time now.

Peace <3
Jay

catrina said...

GO CARDINALS!

catrina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ur-spo said...

I will have a seasonal beer this evening; and toast your health and happiness.

Buckeyein Richmond said...

Love the autumn beers also (and the winter beer, spring beers...oh well...you get the picture).
And also I just love fall. Great camping weather.

Isn't it nice how a little paint sometimes just helps things enough to make them bearable?

Buckeyein Richmond said...

Love the autumn beers also (and the winter beer, spring beers...oh well...you get the picture).
And also I just love fall. Great camping weather.

Isn't it nice how a little paint sometimes just helps things enough to make them bearable?

slugmama said...

If you like the dark, stout-like beers you need to try Southern Tier's Crème Brulee. So good!!! Even this non-beer drinker likes it. lol

Mark in DE said...

The kitchen in our 1st house had old, depressing wallpaper. We removed it to find an even older, uglier wallpaper, which we removed to find yet another, older, uglier wallpaper. Finally getting down to the plaster, we painted it a soft pink called "Cherry Blossom". Yellow is nice for a kitchen too. :-)

Anonymous said...

No Diva drama. What a relief!

Anonymous said...

I thought I commented on this. Turns out I hadn't. Hm.

How did the birthday turn out? Will you be posting pics of the kitchen reno? It's probably the food that is making your dog farts so rank. If Molly eats ANY human food, she is awful.