Saturday, May 7, 2011

A few thoughts on Mother's Day

Before I became a mother I desperately wanted to be a mother and receive all the praise and adoration (or whatever) that Hallmark advertises. When my children were younger Mother's Day was filled with horrible guilt about how I didn't measure up to the motherhood ideal. Those were bad times. Now it's just another day on the calendar. I don't really care. I appreciate my children's expressions of love, etc., but don't need it. I suspect my older son will forget to call me, and I'm OK with that. My younger son got me a card because his social worker took him to get one. My girls may or may not mark the occasion and I'm cool with that. My oldest daughter expresses her love and appreciation frequently throughout the year whenever it occurs to her to do so. My youngest daughter is caught up in being 13 years old and emotionally disturbed. I don't expect much.

I will try to remember to call my mother, but she was just here earlier this week and I bought her a few little practical gifts and made much about this being her Mother's Day celebration, all very tongue-in-cheek. We had fun with it.

All in all, I'm good.

And I owe this blog a big, long, rambling exposition of recent events. That is forthcoming, but I don't know when.

6 comments:

Rox said...

Happy Mother's Day Java! Or happy Sunday, however you choose to look at it! :)

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day D... i can only hope that you receive much more than you need on this occasion. it seems to me that some of your joy comes from your children's joy. i hope that you see more and more of that in your world as time continues to go forward. you deserve nothing less..and much much more

Greg said...

Hey, you muthah...have a nice day! :D

Peter said...

D, every day of the year is Mother's Day, if they appreciate it or not. You did well and are still doing well even when your [younger] kids don't see it that way. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Jim said...

Java, Happy Mother's Day to you! God knows you deserve the recognition!

Ur-spo said...

Indeed, Happy Mother's Day to you!