Yesterday I posted about the bit of trouble I got into when I tried to take S's book bag to him at school. Today my boss stopped me in the lot and stuttered... "I don't need to say any more about yesterday, do I?" Huh? I knew what he was talking about, but didn't know why. I just told him "No, I know I'm supposed to 'do the right thing.'" I continued toward my bus. Thinking. Why would he ask that? Is there more?
So I buzzed him on the two-way. "Did somebody say something else?" He replies "Nothing worth mentioning." Sh!t. That just made me madder. I had calmed down since yesterday, mainly by trying not to think about it. But it came up again. What else? And boss-man isn't forthcoming with details. Probably for the best. But I worried it like a dog with a smelly shoe for half an hour, until work took my mind off of it.
I went into the office after my route. I asked boss-man "Is there something else I should know? Or is there something I already know that I need to be reminded about?"
"No." he says, with his 'everything is fine, just calm down' smile. He's good with that. So we chatted a bit. I (calmly for the most part) explained my dissatisfaction with this rule and the system in general. It helped. Me, anyway. We discussed possible benefits of this rule of not allowing parents to visit the classrooms without the office's stamp of approval. For instance, he says if they make an exception for me to go on the halls, then what's to stop other parents from showing up anytime? Well, for one, I don't know another parent with children in the school who would make the effort to do that! He conceded. (was he humoring me? Maybe) What it comes down to is control. They have it, I don't, so neener-neener on me. And that's the truth-th-th-th. I have no way of winning in any possible way in this dispute.
I did on one previous occasion check in at the office before visiting the teachers. The pinch-faced microencephalon at the reception desk refused to let me out of the office. She called the assistant principal to "take care of me." I never got to see the teachers I needed to see. The a$$ principal told me he'd take care of getting what I needed. (I needed assignments for S who had been suspended by this same a$$ principal the day before, but that's another story and my blood pressure is too high for it now.) He said he'd talk to the teachers and have them all e-mail me with the assignments. That was on a Friday. On Sunday evening I got an email from one teacher. I never ever heard from any of the others. And I know they have my email address because I had been in contact with each of them previously.
-steam comes out the ears-
I ended up apologising to boss-man for getting him mixed up in the middle of this mess. And I thanked him greatly for running interference. I told him I'm very glad he's buffering these messages from the school, and he said "yes, you are!" Again, Sh!t. What I don't know helps keep me out of trouble, I suppose. He's helping prevent me from saying something I'd regret to someone I shouldn't talk to right now. Boss-man is a good guy, overall. Irritating sometimes, but generally beneficial.
Moving Along, but Adrift
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment