Monday, March 31, 2008

Resign

Well, I did it. I turned in my resignation to the boss today. (Monday. It is technically Tuesday now.) I was a bit nervous about it, but just a bit. I was looking forward to it, also.

I got to the office about 12:30 or so. This is a good time because the morning crises are usually resolved and the afternoon drama hasn't begun. He was in his office and in a pretty good mood. He can be a lot of fun to talk to when he's not stressing over some emergency. And he isn't a man to stress unnecessarily.

I had printed up my resignation letter and sealed it in an envelope. I wanted to be able to leave it on his desk if he wasn't in. He opened it, read the first sentence, and looked up at me. "Why? What's going on?" I said "read the rest of the letter."

To give you the sense of things, I'll show you "the rest."

Thank you for the opportunities you have afforded me in this position. I have learned a lot about working with others, but more importantly I have learned a lot about myself. I have experienced great personal growth over the last three and a half years. This experience has been invaluable. You have been a wonderful supervisor and a joy to work with. I hope we can remain friends.

The time has come for me to seek other opportunities; to broaden my horizons and sphere of influence. I will forever be grateful to you and the school district for teaching me to exercise my ability to be a positive influence in the community.


We had a very good discussion. He honed in on the bit about being a positive influence. He told me that he knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have had a very positive influence on a lot of people, both students and district employees of one variety or another. Oh, yeah, that made me feel good!

And it went on from there. We touched on a lot of the things I wanted to tell him. Like how I know I do a very good job. I've helped him a lot by taking care of things within my ability to do so, leaving him free from those concerns. (A lot of the other drivers can't or won't do that) We talked about how he has given me a wide variety of experiences since the very beginning. The asshat threw me to the sharks my first day on the job! He put me as a monitor on one of the worst routes in the city! I was flabbergasted, overwhelmed, my naivete was shattered like a fragile crystal goblet thrown against a brick wall. I have driven many different routes, and have learned a lot from each one. Especially about myself. He has been good for me. I told him this.

I told him I feel as though my abilities are being underutilized in this job, that I want to be in a position where I can be more intellectually stimulated and challenged to further my personal growth and influence on others. He seemed to really understand, to sympathize. He was supportive, which pleases me. He could have handled it differently. He could have tried to cajole me into staying a little bit longer. But I'm very proud of myself because I averted that course by being very strong and confident about my decision. And as many of you know, I'm not feeling particularly strong and confident these days.

My resignation was very successful. I feel even better and stronger and more ready to face what lies ahead, whatever that may be.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very proud of you dear. But unlike some of your blog buddies I have the joy of talking with you in person about this.

-Shane

Indigo said...

Best wishes to you, and may Goddess guide your path. :)

Sorted Lives said...

Good for you. I hope you find what you are looking for on this path we call life. Take care!

tornwordo said...

Yay! On to bigger and better things!

Unknown said...

i just realized i commented on this post on the preceding one. thank goodness i don't drive a bus!

Anonymous said...

I knew it would be, but was a little worried when you didn't blog about it on Monday!

sageweb said...

Oh I am proud of you too. You are a strong woman. What a lovely resignation letter.

Birdie said...

Woohoo! First step on an exciting journey! Scary and rewarding, my dear. Follow the yellow brick road...

dykewife said...

congratulations! that's a major hurdle to taking care of yourself over with.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!! So glad what could have been an uncomfortable and miserable experience with the boss turned out to be a positive one. And to have your boss reinforce what you already knew of your abilities only gives you greater confidence in yourself!

Ur-spo said...

how liberating for you
i admire bravery to give up the safe but deadly for the anxious unclear liberation of the morrow.

FuguesStateKnits said...

Wow you are courageous! Blessings on you!
Joan

Billy said...

Good for you, and the best of luck sent your way!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I believe we all have to work on self-improvement as we go and often it means stepping out on faith. I recently have done the same thing, twice in the same week actually. Ugh... it feels like crap right now, but it's getting better here and I think I'm making better sense of myself everyday too.

Best of luck and may the fates be kind to you in your search for work and in life.

-C

Mark in DE said...

How nice that you and he had a reasonable, adult conversation! So many people tell stories of boss' that can't manage themselves much less a dept. I'm happy the experience was positive for you.

Good luck!

Mark :-)

cb said...

Yay! Cha-cha-cha-CHANGES!

Change is a good thing. I hope everything works out well for you.

Butch said...

Congratulations!

It would have been easier just leaving your letter on his desk and getting out but you were able to talk with your boss and give him the complete version of your resignation. I'm sure you made points on doing it that way. Be sure and ask your boss for a written recommendation of your work experience, it always looks good in your résumé.

The best of luck to you! "Onward and Upward!"

Greg said...

Wow, what a classy letter. Nicely done.

May the act of writing a strong and confident letter bring you that much closer to really feeling that way...and may the road before you open up with truly wonderful possibilities.

(By all means, translate the good kharma you've got with this guy into a letter of rec!!)

matty said...

what an awesome letter!

congratulations!

...only good things lay ahead!

(just go for it)