A topical approach
Dizzy
I saw the doctor yesterday about my latest episodes of the dizzies. A couple of months ago I was very dizzy, and that was caused by low blood pressure. I needed an adjustment in my blood pressure meds. It is different this time. I was hoping I'd get to go off the blood pressure meds all together, but such is not the case. This time I have a wicked case of vertigo. It's a good thing I'm not prone to motion sickness, as vertigo can cause nausea in those so afflicted.
I've had vertigo before, but not this bad. I'm frequently a little dizzy, and many of the meds I take can cause dizziness. This time it is knocking me flat! I turn over in bed and feel like I'm about to fall on the floor. I have to hold onto the walls and furniture when I move around the house. It comes and goes, waxes and wanes, but doesn't leave completely. For instance, when I got up this morning (after experiencing the radical turn over shift) I was pretty functional. Right now sitting on the bed with my computer in my lap I feel very dizzy. I just got up to use the bathroom, and woosh! Hang on!
I asked the doctor about driving. It seems a bit dangerous for me to be driving just now. He agreed. Actually, when I mentioned it he looked at me like I was nuts to consider that he'd even allow me to drive! Or that I would consider doing it. Of course I had driven myself to the office, and drove myself home, but haven't been behind the wheel since.
As you know, my job is driving. (Driving me nuts, but that's a topic for later.) The doctor wrote a note for work excusing me from work all next week. This week has been our spring break. So next week is my extended spring break. Pretty cool, no? Of course I can't GO anywhere. Whatever.
Who's in the house
This evening has been chaotic. Last night Sproing spent the night with one of his friends, and he's been gone all day. The day was unusually quiet. He still isn't home yet. However, Diva has a friend spending the night here tonight, and said friend is here. Light got home from college this afternoon for the start of her week of spring break. No, she's not a girl going wild on the beaches in Florida. She's home, going to be ferrying me around as I need it, looking for a summer job, and starting a garden in the back yard. Those are her plans. She's a smart, sensible girl. Just like her mother. (HA!)
Twitch is here, chattering as usual. Superman got home a while ago and has been plagued by requests for attention ever since. C is at work tonight, and S is being company for the rest of us. He also cooked a very nice dinner. And I'm looking for some peace and quiet. Again, HA!
Therapy
I went to therapy again today. Superman had to transport me. The therapist and I had a lovely chat over tea. I honestly can't remember a whole lot that we talked about. She gave me homework. I'm to come up with a list of fun, interesting, and/or distracting things I can do to occupy my brain when it starts telling me those bad things. You know the ones; I'm no good, I'm not worthy… that kind of crap. Like Wednesday when the negative voice was loud and I was not having much success doing the positive self talk over it.
So what are some positive activities I enjoy that can take my mind away from the negative? Let's discuss. One thing I like is to listen to my MP3 (it isn't an iPod, so I don't call it an iPod) player; classical music, Baroque stuff, some Beethoven occasionally, Vivaldi strings, Saint-Saens (Symphony #3 is glorious, especially the 4th movement).
Manny, my wonderful truck, is really fun to drive through the countryside. I have to function on a higher level than I was Wednesday, though, in order to drive. One must be prepared for unforeseen eventualities. Wednesday was too much of a clusterfuck for that.
Another thing that brings me peace is drawing floor plans and house designs. Sometimes that is a wonderful outlet for me. Other times it is just frustrating.
Probably the best thing I can do is get lost in a good book. When the planets align I can do that. I must have enough function to concentrate on the written word, and occasionally even that is too much for me.
OK, I did my homework. Thank you for sitting so nicely while I got through that. If you have any other suggestions I welcome your input.
3 comments:
I'm sorry your vertigo's bad right now. I hope it goes into remission again.
We have out therapy on Wednesdays. And we didn't cut today. Yay!
Say hi to C and S for me. :)
I feel dizzy just reading about your life. I'm barely managing with two kids. I don't know how you do it. And then you turn around and leave a wonderfully insightful post on Steven's blog. You have a great deal of love and wisdom to share.
I too use music and books to escape the Real World (when I can't be reading blogs anyway). Been doing that a lot lately! We have to take care of ourselves if we're going to be any good at taking care of others. Put on some great music, have some chocolate, and dream of Jimmy Stewart.
My gosh, it just goes from one thing to the next, doesn't it? I don't envy you. I do feel for you. I don't even really know what to say. I just wish you felt better. Yoga? Acupuncture? I don't know, I'm trying to think "outside the 4 walls."
Post a Comment