I want to tell you about an interesting positive experience I had this morning. On Thursday mornings I drive a few of the special ed students to the vocational school where they get their hair done by the cosmetology students. I got to the high school a little bit early and went in to use the bathroom. (Two cups of coffee, then 2.5 hours on the bus first thing in the morning, and I'm heading to the bathroom!) As I washed my hands I looked at myself in the mirror. I usually don't pay attention to my reflection. Today I looked. I really like my eyes. Recently I've been wearing my contacts instead of the glasses, so my eyes aren't hidden behind thick lenses. I looked at my eyes, then the rest of my face and my hair. I've mentioned before that I have good hair. My face is pudgy, of course. One doesn't carry this much weight without it being well distributed throughout the body. As I looked at my face I realized that there is a pretty woman hiding in there. The fat conceals some of it (IMHO) but there is a hint of pretty. This is the first time I've considered myself anywhere near pretty in a long, long time. This is probably good progress.

But that's only the beginning of it. As I walked out of the bathroom one of the ladies who works in the office there at the high school came up to me and said "I just wanted to tell you how pretty you are." OK, kinda freaky, coming as it did 15 seconds after saying that to myself! She has seen me there at the school interacting with the students in that special ed class. She told me that I have something like an aura of beauty, specifically when I'm working with the students. Of course that's when she sees me. I told her I really love those kids, they are special in many ways. I guess it shows.
So today I have been pondering pretty thoughts in my heart.
12 comments:
Oh that is wonderful. That post make me happy. You pretty little thing. I bet you are a beautiful person when you work with the kids.
It's all in the eyes. People see it too.
Of course there's a pretty woman. Stop hiding her!
Let her out! Let her out today! And keep her out! I love that pic. It's really fantastic. I love to surprise my passengers with a "you're very pretty". I've actually had people get all teary-eyed on me. It's apparent to me that our world isn't telling one another how pretty each of us is. Let's start....today!
pretty thoughts...
pretty thoughts....
we are what we think and we see what we think. we work on what we think...
for me i find that being kind to myself and being a good friend to myself are the most challenging and the farthest from the top of my list of to do's....
that's what i work on...
You are beautiful, my friend, but I understand how easily we lose that sense of ourselves. It's wonderful that woman was willing to tell you what she saw, and how she sees and appreciates both your physical beauty,and the beauty in your loving actions with the kids. Only a beautiful person would have created the family you have (and yes, that means Superman is beautiful too, though I doubt I have to tell you that). I think your seeing your own beauty, even if just a glimpse, is more wonderful still.
What a beautiful post. And so very true. You are pretty - - inside and out.
Seeing you working with the children gave the office lady insight into your own very real beauty. I know what she means, because I've seen it in the volunteers who work with the kids at our church. There is an aura about them, it's palpable, and apparently you share it.
There is no equal to the beauty of the soul. We see it here in your loving words and laughter that we share.
I loved Lewis' comment. Beauty isn't always being the blondest or the thinnest. Beauty comes from within. And you are one beautiful person. I KNOW from first hand experience.
I love you, Java! You are absolutely wonderful and I'm really glad you were able to see your own beauty the way we often see it. I guess we really should let people know what's on our hearts concerning the beauty of theirs more often.
Monkey
The eyes are definitely the window to the soul... I love that picture! That is the Java I adore :-)
I read this days ago, but on a little handheld that I didn't want to fuss with commenting on.
I love this. I'm so glad that you feel pretty. I never did until I was 40. It's nice, huh?
Oh, and what Lewis wrote! That makes me love him!
Post a Comment