Tuesday, March 18, 2008

art therapy



I may have mentioned I had a birthday party to attend last Saturday. The birthday girl's name is Elizabeth, and she is a student on my bus. I wanted to get her a little something. She's a silly thing, and likes to tease me by giving me incorrect information. She likes to tell me that her babysitter will not be at the house when we get there, or that her daddy is mad at me. All of this I know to be foolishness. So I tell her "Elizabeth, you are full of little red ants!" Which, of course, is nicer and more appropriate than saying she's full of shit, which she is. But I love her dearly.

Here I am working on the canvas bag I got for her. I'm using Sharpie markers.

Detail

Here's side one, a jar of little red ants.

And the other side has her name with a loose ant roaming along the Z.

I really enjoyed working on the bag. As unsettled as I was over the weekend, this little activity helped calm me down. I should do this sort of thing more often.

17 comments:

Cooper said...

Oh, that's really cute! What a lovely thing to do. Happy Birthday to Elizabeth (love that name). Next year Dario requires a gym bag. I think I'll do something similar for him

Gregory said...

You are a darling!

dantallion said...

That's really beautiful and thoughtful. Bonus that you as much out of it as I'm sure she will!

Patrick said...

What a great present! And I've been rediscovering the centering/calming effects of making things again recently. Why do I keep having to learn the same lessons over and over?

Indigo said...

Very very cute! :) Red ants.... yay! :)

Sorted Lives said...

That was very sweet. I am sure she LOVED IT!

Anonymous said...

Great idea. I'd never have the time or patience to do all of those ants though. Oy!

Brilliant or Something said...

I find the act of repetitive motions and especially patterns very soothing. Even sanding a project by hand for a class recently, I felt calmer and more relaxed afterwards. I'm glad you found something good and productive to make you happy.

evilganome said...

That's great! I have been talking with my therapist recently about getting back into drawing or finding some other quiet time outlet to help me cope better with my life.

Uncle Zoloft said...

Arts & crafts therapy is amazing. I love the ants! Esp. the one on the "Z".

Did you count the total of ants you created?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful creation! I'd take that over a Gucci purse any day! ;-) It definitely shows that a lot of time and effort went into that!

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

sageweb said...

That is so sweet what a lovely thoughtful lady you are.

Unknown said...

so crafty!!!!

Mark in DE said...

Marvelous! You are so creative. What a generous gift.

Mark :-)

Anonymous said...

Not only is is a wonderful gift (because of the time, thought, and effort you put into it) but the execution is fantastic. You are very talented, Java!

Bigg said...

I can only endorse all the positive comments: You really should do things like that more often, because you are very good at them.