Monday, August 11, 2008

Glad to be home




A list of reasons I'm glad to be home:
  • Flush toilets in real bathrooms: At camp we had port-a-johns

  • Hot and cold running water

  • Shower facilities: I washed off with warm soapy water and a wash cloth, but had no shower or bath for 5 days. Ick.

  • Shampoo: Did not wash my hair the entire time I was gone. Double ick.

  • Climate control: Though it was quite nice, there were times in the middle of the day when it got a bit too hot. The sun was intense. It got quite cool at night, cooler than we prepared for.

  • My own mattress: memory foam, not inflated plastic. Big difference.

  • Scrambled eggs

  • Internet access

  • Reliable cell phone service: Verizon was the only service that had any signal, and that was spotty. Thankfully we use Verizon.

  • Eating from my plate without sharing with yellow jackets

20 comments:

Mark in DE said...

For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would intentionally go camping. To me its like the equivilent of trying to live your life and go about your daily business with a blindfold on.

Mark :-)

sageweb said...

Wow those are all good reasons to be home. Although not washing my hair for a week would be cool...cuz I hate washing my hair.

Anonymous said...

YAY! You are back!!!!!! OMG I would go nuts if I could not wash my hair for five days. lol

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

Of course, the closest thing doung and I ever get to camping is going on a cruise, hee hee.

I'm glad you're home too :)

Doug said...

I love you Java, but PLEASE don't ever take me camping. I couldn't bear it.

Unknown said...

i'm glad you're back. but i'm more glad you and the hero had some time together.

Sorted Lives said...

Glad you are home!! Can't wait to hear about your adventure!

Butch said...

Those are great reasons to be glad to be home. Welcome home!

When I was in Vietnam. I had to keep one hand free to swat at flies and other bugs trying to dive my plate whilst I ate with the other hand.

Try waving one of your hands around whilst aiming the fork in the other at your mouth. ;-) I got pretty good at it after some fork wounds to my face. ;-)

bigislandjeepguy said...

camping ROCKS! i would rather camp out than be in a canned air hotel anyday! there is something about sleeping under the stars that is just unbeatable.

glad you had a good time, glad you're back.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Welcome back we missed you!

[Sniff, sniff] Yep you smell much better now! ;)

Ur-spo said...

i haven't been a-visiting blog land in a few days - i am glad you are home safe and sound amidst life's real pleasures = hot water.

Greg said...

Camping is fun!!

Well, within reason, and only now and then. I do like my bed and shower and kitchen and such...

That's an excellent yellowjacket photo!

Uncle Zoloft said...

Praise Baby Jesus you made it back without having been eaten by a bear.

It sounds like you had a great time/get-a-way.

No nookie to keep y'all warm?!?!?!

Joe Masse said...

I'd miss all of the above... and towels. Fresh fluffy white towels.

whimsical brainpan said...

Welcome back to the comforts of home! :-)

Indigo said...

halo incarnates

am glad dark-mom is home. missed you. nice to talk. am glad.

Earl Cootie said...

I love camping, but, dang, even more I love that first shower once home.

Anonymous said...

Glad that everyone has made it back safe and sound. After just returning myself, I can't tell you how nice it was to be away from all things technical. The simplistic days were relaxing.

Anonymous said...

See, the thing is that the yellow jackets were sort of our "pets" while we were there. They really are quite harmless unless you are within 15 feet of their nest. So we left a bowl out with various pieces of fruit and meat and whatnot, and they came and ate and had a fine old time. Also, if there are yellow jackets around, MANY other bugs won't come and bother you. It was pretty cool sharing a plate with them, I thought. Java disagreed. ;-D But they tickle when they light on you. A few of them liked to land on one of my fingertips, crawl along until they'd hit a knuckle, then take off and fly around for another pass. The only sting I got was from a little sweat bee, and it didn't hurt much.

What I TRULY loved about the place was the fact that there were no mosquitos. We didn't see a single one. Yay!

Anonymous said...

You went camping for just the right amount of time. A week is way too long. Glad to have ya back.