Thursday, October 15, 2009

Random stuff

In which we update you on Sproing's little adventure: What is today, anyway? Thursday? Hell, I need a drink. 'Twas last Wednesday, yes, just over a week ago that Superman took Sproing from the acute care mental hospital to the next in what I fear will be a series of mental/behavioral health facilities. What have I told you so far? I'll just back up to that point. Father and son had a lovely time driving to the new place. Sproing was calm, pleasant, and his charming old self. He was subdued about getting checked in there, and Superman left right after he'd done his part. His part involved signing lots of papers promising them the moon, as far as I know.

For the first couple of days the boy was dull and lethargic. The first hospital had him so drugged up that he slept most of the time. This place is weaning him off those meds. Last time I spoke with the therapist, she said he had one or two more days on the last of the medications, then he would be completely unmedicated. I'm glad he's there with them. So far he's been mostly easy-going, though he still thinks we are bringing him home soon. I suspect that once he realizes that he'll be there for quite a few weeks, he may act out. The therapist there says he should stay at least three months, possibly six. It depends largely on him, and how willing he is to do the work that must be done.

Superman and I went up on Monday evening of this week for a family counseling session. We got to see him, of course, and he was all snuggly. It was nice. But he was unusually quiet. This is not like him. I'm not sure what's going on. Superman will be there next Tuesday morning for another session and a conference with Sproing's treatment team.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news, Diva is doing very well without her brother here. She loves the individual attention. She's being particularly flighty, though. She didn't go out to wait for the school bus this morning because her daddy didn't tell her to go. She progresses at a snail's pace with any task, no matter how much she wants to do it. There are probably some things we could and should do to help motivate her, to help her take responsibility for herself. I'm so damned tired of it all, though. Of course it won't get better if we don't act, so Superman and I will have to get a program of behavior modification or something worked out for her soon. Maybe this weekend we can spend a couple of hours hashing that out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've got two days off from school. It's our Fall break. I never had a Fall break back in the day, and I don't know what this is supposed to be, but I am not complaining! For me this is a chance to get caught up on some work for my research methods class. There is a lot to do. I had three tests this week, thankfully on three different days. I talked to a girl in my Theatre and Film class who had three midterms on Tuesday. She looked pretty bad.

So I took the Theatre and Film midterm. I studied diligently for that sucker, to good measure! By the time I sat down to take the exam, I knew what I needed to know. I wrote on that thing for the entire 1.5 hours of class. It was almost entirely short-answer format. Anyone reading this blog for more than a couple of weeks will know that "short" is not something I do. There's so much to say! The first half of the semester covered theatre (theater - how is that word supposed to be spelled? What am I supposed to do with the "e" and the "r" at the end?) and next week we'll start on film studies. It promises to be interesting.

I did not do well on the test I took Monday. I studied, but he asked stuff that I didn't know well enough. Tuesday was the Theatre exam, which I blew out of the water, and yesterday I took the Abnormal Psych exam. I was nervous about that one. Yes, I studied, and I was very confident on a few things. I never know how much detail this professor will ask for. That's what snookered me on Monday's test. (I have the same prof for two classes). I knew general information about the topic, but he got annoyingly specific on the test. But for Wednesday's class, the test wasn't quite as specific. It also covered more stuff than Monday's test did, so I guess he had a chance to get more picky. Anyway, I was better prepared for the Abnormal test than I feared, so that was good.

There's the research work I need to do. There's a big test next Thursday, our second one. I made a low C on the first test. That nearly killed me. I have a better grasp on this stuff now, I think, but I need to do a lot of studying, reading, research, writing, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It rained all day yesterday, and the temperatures are down to where they should be this time of year. Perhaps a little lower than average, maybe to make up for the unseasonable warmth for earlier? Anyway, yesterday was cool and drizzly all day long. I love this weather! I most wanted to curl up in the bed and nap, but instead I did those things that needed to be done. Today I'm at home with some opportunity to do that nap thing. I lazed around for a couple of hours this morning, but now am trying to accomplish a few things. Laundry for one. Gad, I hate doing laundry. However, it's much easier now that the washer works and I don't need to haul everything to the laundromat. For that I am thankful.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have applied, on behalf of Diva, to a state agency that helps emotionally disturbed children. We have the forms for Sproing's application, too, that need to be completed before tomorrow. Tomorrow morning an agent from this program is coming to do a home visit. I think I'm in denial about it somehow. I'm afraid of my house. I'm afraid for her to see my house. If I were a healthy person I would spend today cleaning. However, I'm too retarded for that right now. I can't work on that. I'll do laundry instead. And maybe some paperwork. And maybe take a nap (which is my most ardent desire right now).

OK, feeling somewhat guilty about that attitude, I just made two important calls to get information about Diva's treatment dates. We need to know that stuff for tomorrow's interview.

Next order of business is to make a list of what exactly I need to do for the research class this weekend. I'm not going to actually do any of it right now, but I'll get it queued up and ready to roll. Then I'll iterate laundry, take my anti-anxiety pill, and have a nap.

6 comments:

sageweb said...

Oh how I would love a nap. I was thinking about Diva the other day, wondering how she is doing with all this. Glad to get an update.

Ultra Dave said...

Seems everything is slowly alling into place, even the weather! Test can certainly be tricky, but passing is passing, even if it doesn't meet our lofty standards. I've learned to let go of that myself. It seems to make it easier!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on Diva. I was wondering how she was behaving given all the drama with Sproing.

Ur-spo said...

I failed my first psychology exam; I was told to rethink my career viz. I would never be a psychologist.

tornwordo said...

I'm glad the kid's needs are being addressed but don't forget your own! Nap away.

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

I think it is an excellent plan to have Sproing's medication suspended in a tightly controlled setting. What happens so frequently with people with mental illness is that the psychiatrists over-medicate the patients. For example, Doug's sister was on 14 psych meds and she never really did function well. At one point, Doug was on five but now is only on three. The three he takes seem to be helpful, but he was over-medicated on five.

What will likely happen is that Sproing will be put on fewer meds at lower doses -- and he'll function better that way.

-----------
About the "C" grade... it beats the heck out of the worst grade I got in college. I scored a 17% on a Calculus-III test once. It was a test given by that goofy professor who thought math was a form of religion and that she was a "Geometer" not some mere mathematician. Ha ha ha ha! Far be it from me to judge anyone's religion, but that class was the pits.
---------------------

I'm glad that Diva is better.
-----------------------
I love you :)