Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Beyond WTF

Here I was, sitting at the computer happily blogging along, and Superman came in with this bottle. 
He handed it to me. It felt warm. I asked what it was, and he said warm water and a little bit of soap. And green food coloring.  
He had that look on his face. Do you know the one? The one that says "I'm so befuddled by this I can barely speak." 

I think this bottle once had mouthwash in it. Some mouthwash is green. I asked if someone had dumped out all the mouthwash and tried to cover up by making some more. That is a likely scenario around here. But no, that's not what happened this time. 

Picture Diva standing beside her bed with this bottle in one hand and a toothbrush in the other. She dips the toothbrush into the bottle, then puts it to the bare unfinished wood side rails of her bed, and scrubs. Scrubs vigorously and meticulously. With warm soapy water and green food coloring. Huh?

Superman asked what she was doing. This can be a frightening question to ask. She said the wood was dirty (it is) and she wanted to clean it. With soapy water and green food coloring? He then pointed out to her that if she scrubs green food coloring into the wood it will turn green. Huh? She looked at him with that same strange "I'm so befuddled" look. It never occurred to her that green food coloring would turn bare wood green. 

This is like those "what's wrong with this picture" drawings in children's magazines. How many things do not make sense in this episode?
1. She's supposed to be in the bed going to sleep, not scrubbing the bed.
2. Where did this bottle come from?
3. What was in it when she found it?
4. Where did she get the green food coloring? (another question I'm afraid to ask)
5. Why did she put green food coloring into a bottle of warm soapy water?
6. What did she assume would happen if she used it on her bed rail? (assuming that she assumed anything is presumptuous)
I'm sure there are many more questions one could ask about this, but my head is spinning too fast to contemplate any more.

The mind reels. 

15 comments:

vuboq said...

What color is your dish washing liquid? My guess would be that she's used to seeing colored dish soap so thought that's what should be used on furniture too.

Just a guess though.

Bigg said...

I dunno, Java. When I did stuff like this as a kid (and I did) it was always to destroy the evidence.
Is there something on the bed that green food coloring would cover or camoflauge?

Anonymous said...

is green her favorite color?

A Lewis said...

May I suggest a little more fresh air for the child? I have never laughed so hard in my life! Dear god....from the mind of a child.

Ur-spo said...

Better question than "What do women want?" is
"Why do children do that?"

Clueless.

Anonymous said...

My question in this moment would be: Where is the can of paint you just huffed that made this seem like a good idea?

Birdie said...

I think vuboq nailed it: she's used to seeing green liquid soap, so she made her own. Quite clever, actually. (But there are questions you just don't ask, like where the bottle came from.) Kudos to Diva for wanting to clean her bed! Even at midnight. Don't want to discourage that effort.

Ultra Dave said...

Children ...... a never ending source of amusement and bewilderment.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure she wasn't "sleep cleaning"...like sleepwalking but instead of walking, she was "cleaning"? I only ask cuz three of our four have been known to do some bizarre things while asleep that none of them recall the next morning. And I hope that wasn't her regular toothbrush! Although I have busted mine "scrubbing the sink down" with their toothbrushes in the past. sigh.....

Mark said...

Thanks for the good laugh!

Anonymous said...

Will you post to answers to the questions? I’m curious to see what her answers are.

sageweb said...

I would like to know the answer to all those questions too...

Anonymous said...

Clearly, Joan Crawford was channelling through her :P

Anonymous said...

If she is sleep-cleaning, you need to set up a system of bumpers to direct her to things you'd like to have cleaned.

At first, I wondered if the mouthwash had been consumed for its alcohol content. But then I might be trying to apply logic here, which the rest of you have suggested might be a waste of time.

(greetings from Connecticut)

Rox said...

Don't waste your time trying to get inside the child's head! Honey, kids have no logic to them! They're all cuckoo!